Help (new guy)

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

C3po
Pilgrim

Help (new guy)

Postby C3po » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Ok I'm going to use an off set smoker. I want to use butcher paper during the process. I'm new so stay with me here. (About) what temp should the pit be when I place the brisket on the rack. How long should it cook before I wrap it in the paper? And should I maintain about a 260 degree rack temp the whole time I cook it until it's ready to come off , and on the average size brisket how long should it cook or about what temp will the brisket be(internal temp) to pass the poke test. I know to pull it off and let it rest for an hour before cutting. Any help would be great. I guess I'm more into the set it and forget it method rather than taking it off and finishing in a cooler.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Help (new guy)

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:39 am

This is a sure way to confusion....... Folks say low and slow and foil, no low and slow no blankie, no hot and fast paper tent.......on and on fat side left, no right.

So there is no right way to cook a brisket only individual favorite ways and all can turn out great especially if it is YOUR creation.

Soooo let's keep it simple and you will be pleased. 260 ° is fine and allow 11/2 hours per pound for the cook. Paper wrap at 160° internal then let it go to 200° IT and probe.

Do not over-season the meat (common rookie mistake) and keep the fat toward the heat.

If someone else offers suggestions ....disregard 'em.
tarde venientibus ossa....
C3po
Pilgrim

Re: Help (new guy)

Postby C3po » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. I need to quit worrying and just dive into it. Recon by fire!!!

Return to “Beef Recipes”