Tri-Tip Help

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

Tri-Tip Help

Postby BRam03 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:31 pm

Hey Guys,

Needs some help... I have a buddy of mine who is requesting me to put my skillz up to cooking some Tri-Tip (he is from California... poor feller...) However I'm at a loss at the best was to smoke one up. Any advice?
I live my life by a simple creed... Chili has no beans.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Tri-Tip Help

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:39 pm

I've only done one once and I just grilled it like I would a big thick steak. Of course I like mine red and bloody in the center so the piece that I had worked out fine. They're not that handy to find where I shop but there is a Mexican Grocery that I'm sure would have them and I may just try another one now that you reminded me. Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing, OK?

OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 pm

I have cooked several tri-tips. They are big on the west coast. The best tip I can give you is to NOT OVERCOOK. Sear over direct heat for 5 minutes on each side, then cover and smoke until the temp is 130. Take off of the grill, let it rest for at least 15 minutes, and then cut across the grain in 3/8" slices. Overcook and it will become tough as shoe leather.

My Rub:

1 Tbs. Kosher salt
1 Tbs. ground black pepper
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. onion powder
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced

Purists only use salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and they only cook over red oak. I like my rub better, and who has red oak? I use pecan.

Have fun. :chef:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Grill hot serve rare!

Return to “Beef Recipes”