Want that juice

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papajim
Wrangler

Want that juice

Postby papajim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:57 am

I use the Bludawg brisket method for my brisket cooks, still learning. My briskets are ok but, don't have that flowing juice like in some of the videos I've seen. Been invited to cook against some younger braggers. Would like for my brisket to hit a home run so I will not go home defeated and no bragging rights. I am not a brisket cooker, I prefer to cook chicken and pork. I cook @ 275-300, probe tender, will be cooking on a stick burner, rest like Bludawg says, season again when wrap in paper, where is the juice?

papajim

I'm not perfect...just like to share my $.02 on the internet
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Want that juice

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:56 am

My best guess is that you are overcooking the brisket. Have you ever checked an end point temperature by chance? I know there are two camps, probe vs. temp. I use both. I read somewhere that after thousands of briskets temped, the average temp of doneness was 203 degrees. I cook my briskets to ~195 degrees, then I probe periodically until probe tender, usually 200-205. Resting for at least 2 hours or more also helps the fluids stabilize. Some 'experts' say to let it rest until the internal temp is 145 degrees.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
papajim
Wrangler

Postby papajim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 am

Thanks Okie, my internal was 205, probe tender and felt good, rested 2 hrs., sliced @ 165 deg., post oak and hickory wood. Can't figure this one out. Forgot to mention left in fridge for 3 weeks, had a hankering to cook some brisket.

papajim

I'm not perfect....just like to share my $.02 on the internet
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:37 pm

When you see it gushing on the TV that is coming out from the fat pocket between the point & flat because it's still hot when they lop it in two. During the long rest with gradual cooling the juice thickens up and is retained in the meat. I don't know about you but I want it in my slices not on the board. I don't lop mine in 1/2 before slicing I un book it with the back of my knife going through the fat seam so I have the whole point & flat separate. :texas:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “Beef Recipes”