Tri Tipping Tomorrow

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Tri Tipping Tomorrow

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Gonna do my first ever Tri Tip tomorrow and I have already prepared some Santa Maria Rub and I'm pretty sure I know how to cook it. HOWEVER, I need to know if any of Y'all recommend any kind of liquid basting/marinading or such?

At the moment I just plan on trimming the excess fat and applying the rub 30 minutes or so before putting in indirectly on some Kingsford charcoal. I will probably do a sear during the cook also. Think I'll use the Kettle set up with the coals on one side so I have the sear or indirect option during the cook. 135 internal is what I'm shooting for :D

:?: :?: :?: :?: ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME :dont: :scratch: :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Tri Tipping Tomorrow

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:02 pm

I've never basted or marinated any tri tip I have cooked and they've all turned out phenomenally juicy and flavorful. Don't trim off too much fat because this is probably why I've never had to baste or marinate lol.

For my tips, I have always seared over a blazing hot fire. Only way to make it hotter would be to put the thing directly on the coals. Let the flames lick the roast for about 5 minutes per side. Then I move it over to the "cool" side for about 25-45 minutes (depending on tri tip size and current pit temps).
I let it rest about 20-30 minutes, again depending on roast size. Then slice it up.

** This is how I make them, you are in no way required to follow them as instructions ** :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks, TD, I'm a beginner but pretty much on the same thinking as you - - - I'll snap a pic in a little while and maybe you can advise me as to how much Lard to take off. :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:14 pm

The Nekkid Truth.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0016.JPG
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:46 pm

I was gonna say, "That looks about 2.5 - 3lbs" then saw the sticker on the last shot :laughing7: I wouldn't trim down to less than 1/4", and it looks to be pretty near that now. Good part is it seems to have very nice marbling, but much like a brisket, that will help shield some of the fire. On any tips i've done that really needed trimming, I've always doctored it up when slicing the finished product and just trimmed it from the slices. ;)
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:01 pm

What time is dinner buddy ??
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 pm

only reason to trim some of the fat would be so the Santa Maria Rub sticks good - - - this should be fun tomorrow - - - YO Pocono - - dinner's a Noon CST - - - you want tater and salad :?:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm leaving now, should make it ? Lol

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm

sure "come on ?up?" - - - plenty for all :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Plenty for all, lol, whenever we go out to dinner sometimes our friends share their mains etc, everyone except moi. Lol. Everyone knows how I roll. I order exactly what I want, I don't share on a nice meal out. Why would I share my favourite lemon chicken with friends when they have something I don't want,lol. Yeah I know, wife's says I'm odd, I'm ok with that. :D :D

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:32 am

As a counterpoint, I have tried to like tri-tip, but I don't find it inspiring. I have used a great Santa Maria rub, bought prime tri-tip, cooked it to 135F, sliced across the grain, but still find it a little chewy and not with the flavor of other cuts.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:48 am

thanks, Sir, I'll soon be getting that "test" :salut: I remember being disappointed in Dino Bones so hopefully that "won't" be the case today :roll:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:08 am

Not trying to rain on your parade; just giving my experience. YMMV.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:46 am

Which I value - - - stand by for possible profanity or pictures :dont: :scratch: :roll: :shock: :laughing7:

Return to “Beef Recipes”