Do you separate brisket

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BigDawg580
Pilgrim

Do you separate brisket

Postby BigDawg580 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:17 pm

This is first post after my introduction post so bare with me while i learn something from you pit masters
What is the Texans way of cooking a brisket. Do you cook it hole or separate it. I normally leave it hole and about 1/4 inch of fat with a 50 - 50 of salt & black pepper then wrap it up after about 4 -5 hours.
My brisket are pretty darn good for a Okie
But I'm sure i will learn something from you Texas Boys thanks.
Last edited by BigDawg580 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Separate brisket

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:11 pm

I am Brisket illiterate but I promise you that these members can give you the "experts" advise on that chunk of cow - -- - - good luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Fearlessleader
Pilgrim

Re: Do you separate brisket

Postby Fearlessleader » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:42 pm

This may be helpful it's a PBS BBQ show called Franklins BBQ. Arron Franklin has BBQ resteraunt in Austin TX. His Brisket is very highly regarded. The show can be viewed at the link below. I think it is very informative.
Good Luck
Rich
http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/bbq-with-franklin/
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Our methods are pretty close to the same, BigDawg580. I try to select briskets I don't need to trim much from, and those I do, I usually trim to about 1/4". SnP rub, then on to 250-275 degree smoke from white oak. Depending on what time I want to eat will depend on whether or not I wrap. If I am in no hurry, I keep it naked, low and slow the whole cook. If I am making an 8 hr brisket, I usually wrap it for the last 2 to 2.5 hours. Franklin is also a tad overhyped. Good? yeah.. Good enough to justify waiting hours in line? No.. His secret is that he cooks with a limit.. Meaning he will only cook a couple hundred pounds of brisket and when it's gone, you've gotta come back another time. This man has the capacity to easily triple what he puts out, but does not. Why? If there is no suspense, you lose interest because you realize the "story" is the same as a million others.. Combine a limited daily supply with a decent product, Then add the dense population of Austin and you've got exponential positives going on. ;)
(Insert witty signature here)
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:33 pm

I cook briskets whole and TxD - Franklin did not invent that .. If you walk into almost any BBQ joint .. they have a sign taped to the wall waiting to go on the door "Sold Out for Today" .. if you don't see that sign .. your in a Dickeys and I can only say Dickeys will never need such a sign.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:45 pm

I cook my briskets whole. Like those above, I look for briskets that need as little trimming as possible. Depending on the flavor I am looking for, I either go with Sucklebusters SPG or Everglades cactus dust. Cook it at 250. If the color gets to where I want it before it's done, I'll wrap in butcher paper. If it's not there, I'll leave it nekid.

Pull with it's probe tender. Into the cooler for an hour or so. Then, in my belly!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
danj217
Pilgrim

Postby danj217 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:46 am

I've tried both methods, I would only separate if I plan on using the point for burnt ends and I believe that method is mainly used for cook offs, when you're concerned with presentation. I also prefer butcher paper over foil, although it is a bit messier. 50/50 kosher salt, 16 mesh ground pepper and some garlic powder is what I like to use. As far as Franklins, in my opinion, the fact that he starts with a quality brisket is what really makes it shine. Find a prime brisket and you'll have great results. I've been buying HEB Prime 1 for 1.97/lb and they have been absolutely delicious....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:34 pm

cowboydon wrote:I cook briskets whole and TxD - Franklin did not invent that .. If you walk into almost any BBQ joint .. they have a sign taped to the wall waiting to go on the door "Sold Out for Today" .. if you don't see that sign .. your in a Dickeys and I can only say Dickeys will never need such a sign.

I am not sure Dickeys should be used in the same conversation with Franklin lol
(Insert witty signature here)
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:38 pm

10-4 on that & you hit the nail on the head with Aarons limited supply of "Q". He sure knows how to keep them coming back !! Supply & demand !!! There's no way I would wait in line for 3-4 hrs hoping to taste some of his brisket. I'll cook my own to heck with the lines ! Cooking it is part of the equation in my opinion . :!: :texas:
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Sorry kinda got off topic. No I don't separate mine but it is a interesting idea - since the point is usually thinner . ;) :texas:
BigDawg580
Pilgrim

Postby BigDawg580 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks for everyone's input. I have tried to get some Franklin BBQ i don't care how good it is. I'm not standing in a long line for a chance to get some of his BBQ.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:01 pm

You can avoid the line if you preorder, but there is a min. order, cant recall the specifics at the moment.
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:40 pm

cowboydon wrote:You can avoid the line if you preorder, but there is a min. order, cant recall the specifics at the moment.

I believe it's 5 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:06 am

Yes sir 5 lb. sounds correct
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
lordsofbbq USER_AVATAR
Lordsofbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Lordsofbbq » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 pm

This thread is hilarious!!!!! Great input! I've mainly smoke pork forever but got into brisket the last year or so. I like the idea of whole cooks but I've found that unless I'm cooking very slow <250 the point will dry a bit. Thoughts or techniques?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bbqlords

Return to “Beef Recipes”