Egghead got me hungry...

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Egghead got me hungry...

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:02 pm

For some corned beef, his thread got me going so I pulled a piece out of the freezer yesterday. I normally do it like egghead does but it's not winter here yet, we just 1 month into autumn (fall) so I'm just doing it for selfish reasons, my sammiches. Here's a pic of it cooking with peppercorns n maple syrup.
Pics to follow later when I come home for lunch and a sammy.

Russ
image.jpg

Pics not the best, it's from my I pad.
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Re: Egghead got me hungry...

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 pm

My sammich with chow chow which is pickled cauliflower and gherkins along with other things.

image.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Larapin Grub, KR, and my kinda sammie "fo sho" :salut: - - - anybody know what the difference is between Relish and Chow Chow :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm

that'll work
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Larapin Grub, KR, and my kinda sammie "fo sho" :salut: - - - anybody know what the difference is between Relish and Chow Chow :?: :dont:

Oup, the pic below is home made tomatoe relish, I'm pretty good at making almost anything, BUT can't make relish to save myself. The jar below is my sons neighbours batch. It's the best ever, I swap home made tomatoe sauce with him, it contains mainly tomatoes onion and spices. Chow chow is completely different but still nice on cold meat. The sammich just melted in my mouth. I'm having another for dinner later, I'm trying relish this time for a change,lol.

Russ
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Forgot the pic,lol

image.jpg

Russ
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 pm

I like the different twist on the sammie.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 pm

egghead wrote:I like the different twist on the sammie.

Lol, yeah I guess it's what you grow up with, my late mum cooked a lot of old English foods so I was always going to grow up with corned beef n carrots. And chow chow! Or a slight variance is piccalilli. That's nice too.

Second sammich just finished, think ill be having tomorrow as well. :chef: :chef:

Russ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 am

Kiwiruss wrote:Oup, the pic below is home made tomatoe relish, I'm pretty good at making almost anything, BUT can't make relish to save myself. The jar below is my sons neighbours batch. It's the best ever, I swap home made tomatoe sauce with him, it contains mainly tomatoes onion and spices. Chow chow is completely different but still nice on cold meat. The sammich just melted in my mouth. I'm having another for dinner later, I'm trying relish this time for a change,lol.
Russ

OK Pard, I've read this about six times and I'm still in the dark (so what's new right?) Tell me what you will do different WHEN you TRY RELISH THIS TIME. :dont:

When I Googled this is basically all I found and it's really not very distinctive as to the differences.
Another condiment that is often confused or considered to be the same as Chow Chow is a relish known as Piccalilli. One of the key differences appears to be that many Piccalilli recipes have a wider variety of vegetables added to the ingredients, but generally, the recipes for both relishes can be very similar. Each has recipes created by chefs that include mustard, a variety of pickled vegetables minced into small pieces, and various seasonings that are added to provide a flavor desired, such as spicy or mild ingredients. Therefore, the only noticeable differences between the two condiments is the name, the number of vegetables included, and perhaps the origin of the recipe.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm

This is the recipe from the best nz cook book. Does that make it any clearer. Chow chow n piccalilli are vegetables whereas relish is mainly tomatoes and onions.
image.jpg

As you can see the book is well used.its my bible but I do vary from what I think.

Russ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

I'll settle for it, Pard, even tho I have made Pear Relish, Prickly Pear Relish, Jalapeno Relish and Cucumber Relish before. :dont: All of those had Own-Yawns but not Maters :roll:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah I can't make it but I'm happy with my sons neighbours relish. Ive tried about 4 times with different recipes, complete failures.
Just the way it goes I guess.

Russ
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Looks great Russ! I am also getting the hankerin' for some pastrami or corned beef of sorts with all these posts lol :laughing7:
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Beef Recipes”