Very serious mistake in the "home made corned beef"

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jerrykr USER_AVATAR
jerrykr
Pilgrim

Very serious mistake in the "home made corned beef"

Postby jerrykr » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Hello folks, this is my first post here. I have been lurking around as a visitor for awhile, and felt I better register on the forum to alert you to a serious mistake I find in the corned beef thread.

The link posted in the thread spelling out how to cure corned beef has a mistake that could cause some serious nitrate/nitrite poisioning. The recipe in the link calls for 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS of Instacure #1 which is seriously too much. It's a simple mistake, it should read 1 1/2 TEASPOONS of Instacure #1. There is quite a difference in the volumn of a tablespoon vs a teaspoon.

Here's the Sausagemaker.com page with the recommended usage for 5 lbs of meat. 1 TEASPOON.

http://sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageA ... D&ProdID=2

You can do some Googling to satisfy yourself about cautions when using Instacure #1 and #2 to avoid overuse and the potential for poisioning.

Other than that "Typo" the recipe and instructions look good to me, and I also agree with everything that you guys posted in the thread.

I might as well give you a link to my own blog site about making Corned Beef at home. In my instructions, I'm very careful not to state any given recipe, but to make it to the specifications of the Morton Salt "Tender Quick" cure. I specifically recommend following their instructions, but I add some hints and tips along the way.

http://www.homecornedbeefmaker.blogspot.com/

I also use InstaCure #1 from the Sausagemaker.com. I find that the main difference between the choice of using InstaCure and TenderQuick is the much greater amount of salt in TenderQuick. So they both accomplish the same thing, (cure) but if you want to minimize the amount of salt (IN a sausage grind for instance), the InstaCure is the better choice. On the corned beef, the TenderQuick salt can be rinsed off before cooking for example. But you can't rinse it OUT of sausage meat.

I hope this helps and avoids a problem for you. Thanks for letting me join the forums. I live in the DFW area (Southlake) and enjoy sausage making and smoking and grilling.

-=- Jerry -=-
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks Jerry good attn to detail.
I agree with you that if you use Tenderquick and follow Mortons recipes you will not get nitrate poisoning but you might suffer sodium poisoning. Mortons sells salt and it shows....
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:24 am

Thanks for pointing out the error in the post.

I agree with PT too...

Return to “Beef Recipes”