Making hamburger

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Making hamburger

Postby super8mm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:09 pm

If I score some of those 99¢ briskets I might grind up some hamburger and vacuum bag it. So what all do I need to grind it?

additives?
grind size?
"He was ugly, strong and had dignity" by Marion Robert Morrison
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Making hamburger

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:14 pm

I use a Porkert and twice grind with course disc. You can get one new for about $40 or at a yard sale for a greenback.

Had one of those fancy electric jobs, broke the second time I used it. Couldn't even bring it back cause it was on clearance with all sales final. You get what you pay for. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:18 pm

The only tip I can give is to cut the meat up into cubes and mix between fat and lean when you feed the grinder to get a more even fat distribution. Double grinding also helps even it out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 pm

I got that grinder last week so I figured I would see if I could give it a work out :-)

I got that mixer tub too so I can see how it work??

for lean I only need about 5% fat dont I??

isnt there someting like soot added to hamburger?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:46 am

The suet is the fat... I cube and grind the entire brisket and just eyeball it for fat content. I shoot for about an 80/20 lean to fat ratio... Double grind through a medium plate. I then measure out in 1.5ln portions (about what we would normally use in a meal), wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. One it sets up. I vac pak and store for use. I have a cheaper model electric grinder from Cabellas. It's worked great for the 17 months or so that I've had it.
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks James, I was thinking of doing one # packs for the two of us.

I am curious as to why you wrap in plastic (saran wrap or wax paper) then freeze?

Do you remove the first wrap before you vacuum it?

I want to try my Northern Tool grinder, I also ordered a Cables slicer with a little digital scale, they didnt have any in the store.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 am

Papa Tom wrote:The only tip I can give is to cut the meat up into cubes and mix between fat and lean when you feed the grinder to get a more even fat distribution. Double grinding also helps even it out.

Well there ya go. Get your self some natural casings and make some Potatis Korv!
3# chuck (sub brisket), 2# potatos (Parboiled and diced, 4 med onions, 2-3 TB salt, 1 TB each of white pepper, allspice and sugar. Run it all through the grinder with the beef (might want to run the beef through the first time by itself). Add one cup of fjord water (tap water can be subbed) and mix thoroughly. Stuff into casings. You'll want a decent fat content (20-23%) or the sausages will be dry. Length of sausage depends on your tastes but rings are traditional. Short ones are good for appetisers.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:46 pm

super8mm wrote:Thanks James, I was thinking of doing one # packs for the two of us.

I am curious as to why you wrap in plastic (saran wrap or wax paper) then freeze?

Do you remove the first wrap before you vacuum it?

I want to try my Northern Tool grinder, I also ordered a Cables slicer with a little digital scale, they didnt have any in the store.

I buy the big rolls of plastic wrap from Sam's/Costco... I pre-freeze so that I don't make a big meat pattie with the vac packer and I just leave the wrap on... it removes easily when the meat is thawed for use.

I also pre-freeze steaks and chops before vac packing. Seems to draw out less liquid when I pull a full vacuum on them.
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks James, I will keep that in mind

Return to “Beef Recipes”