NC Pulled Pork with mop and sauce

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: NC Pulled Pork with mop and sauce

Postby ecto1 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 am

My sauce and method are similar to New Country. The main difference is I foil at 175 and take to at least 195 sometimes 200 205 depending on the poke test. I cook in either my MES with pecan or in my UDS with lump and pecan. I don't mop and cook closer to 250 than 225. Pull and place in a cooler at least 2 hours. Pulled pork is one of the meats I think a cooler helps . My sauce is a vinegar pepper sauce I found when I was stationed back east will share it when I get home it is very similar to yours people love it. I have a youtube video I made wil post that as well.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 am

When I do PP I cook at 230° hickory or Pecan for smoke until the bone wiggles loose then it gets wrapped in foil and into the cooler min 1 hr.
My prep is simple remove from the cryovac rinse in cold water a light slather of worcestershire and a good coat of my pork rub and on the pit. no foil no peeking no mopping, when I pull it I add back a little rub and a little my W NC vinegar sauce.

Pork Rub

1/2 cup brown sugar (or turbinado sugar)
4 tbl salt
3 tbl black pepper
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or chipotle)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup paprika

W NC Vinegar sauce

1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
10 tbl ketchup
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbp white sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Here is my recipie right out of personal cook book

1 7-10 pound Boston Butt Shoulder Roast
1 cup you Favorite Pork Rub
1 Bottle Yellow Mustard
1 cup Brown Sugar

Trim excess fat of pork shoulder. Rub your pork with mustard then Rub add a coating of Brown Sugar to the roast them wrap with suran wrap and place in refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Smoke roast in smoker of choice @ 235 degrees adding wood chips of choice to fire for first six hours. When internal temperature of the roast is 175 pull roast and wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil. Place back in smoker or oven until internal temperature reaches 200 degrees. Pull roast and wrap with an old towel and place in a ice chest for 1-2 hours. The shoulder bone should come right out with little to no effort. Take two forks and shred the pork while removing the excess fat. Add finishing sauce below and serve on bun with favorite sauce.

Carolina Style Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3 TBS Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Tony Chachery's Seasoning
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Rep Pepper Flake
1 Tsp Red Cayenne Pepper

In a small sauce pan heat vinegar then add dry ingredients and let simmer for 5 minutes while stirring. Pour contents of pan over pulled pork and mix to taste.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
SophieB
Pilgrim

Postby SophieB » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 pm

New Country wrote:Serve on a bun (potato bread buns are the best) with vinegar sauce and coleslaw.

A quick informal poll (my daughter and myself) says that it all sounds great, but in our neck of the woods ONLY cheap, plain white hamburger buns are authentic for eastern NC pulled pork or BBQ. :laughing7:

Return to “Pork Recipes”