I got a big ol butt

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

I got a big ol butt

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 pm

I've got a 17.5 pound pork butt I'm smoking for a Young Life dinner in a couple of weeks. I know they are done when you can pull the bone out. But about how long should that take running around 275-300 where my smoker seems to run no matter what I do. I'm debating how early I have to get up to have it ready for them to eat at 6 PM. I normaly do brisket or turkeys this is a new world I'm entering. My kids said hey dads go a smoker and he can do it. So family honor is on the line here. :laughing7:
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: I got a big ol butt

Postby egghead » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 pm

That's hogzilla :D

Are you sure it's not two butts in the cryovac?

If it is two, I would figure about an hour and a half per pound for the bigger of the two. If finished early, can always double wrap in foil and cover with newspaper in a cooler for 4-5 hours. Don't want the temp to drop below 140 for any length of time.

Not sure on the time if it is one butt.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am

At a steady 300 you looking at ABOUT 50 min lb 275 ABOUT 1 hr lb. I'll speed mine up if I'm in a hurry by wrapping after 4 hrs the last one I did wrap was a 9 lber it finished in 6 hrs + a 1 hr rest.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:56 am

I went and looked in the freezer. You are correct it is 2 in the vac bag. But just 17 pounds total. That should take care of 20 folks when you include sides don't you think?
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:57 am

BluDawg wrote:At a steady 300 you looking at ABOUT 50 min lb 275 ABOUT 1 hr lb. I'll speed mine up if I'm in a hurry by wrapping after 4 hrs the last one I did wrap was a 9 lber it finished in 6 hrs + a 1 hr rest.

Foil or butcher paper? I have both.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:03 pm

I would think butcher paper... not sure though
I figure 1/2 pound meat per person seems to work out so everyone has plenty and usually a little left over :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Pork Recipes”