Pork belly

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Re: Pork belly

Postby emradguy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:16 pm

I do something kinda similar, but with an Asian style marinade and instead of cutting the squares, I poke about a zillion holes in the skin with a needle. Then I cover the skin surface with baking soda, and leave it sit overnight. In the morning, I rinse it off, then pour just a little vinegar on it to make sure all the baking soda is gone (if not, it’ll bubble up), and let the meat marinade a bunch of hours more. When I’m ready to cook it, my roasting method is also slightly different, but achieves the same results of puffed crisp skin. I use a low long roast, then crank up the heat at the end...pretty much as hot as the oven will go. As mentioned, keep a close eye so the skin doesn’t burn. Serve on lettuce wraps with sweet sauce and spicy sauce for dippin’...

27391FB5-E1D5-4E5D-AAE0-A2024E3AEF52.jpeg

Attachments
E5B111A6-814B-4D4B-9013-285418FA2D47.jpeg
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:07 pm

emradguy wrote:I do something kinda similar, but with an Asian style marinade and instead of cutting the squares, I poke about a zillion holes in the skin with a needle. Then I cover the skin surface with baking soda, and leave it sit overnight. In the morning, I rinse it off, then pour just a little vinegar on it to make sure all the baking soda is gone (if not, it’ll bubble up), and let the meat marinade a bunch of hours more. When I’m ready to cook it, my roasting method is also slightly different, but achieves the same results of puffed crisp skin. I use a low long roast, then crank up the heat at the end...pretty much as hot as the oven will go. As mentioned, keep a close eye so the skin doesn’t burn. Serve on lettuce wraps with sweet sauce and spicy sauce for dippin’...

Man that looks good, I need to do that piece I have in the freezer later this week.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:58 pm

You should, man. It’s totally worth the effort! If you pm me, I can send you the recipe/instructions.

Return to “Pork Recipes”