Pork belly

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Pork belly

Postby Txdragon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Reading further into the thread, I realize I may not have properly answered the question :laughing7: :laughing7:

There are many ways to cook pork belly that I never, EVER knew about. Until about 2 years ago, all I knew about pork belly was bacon. I had no idea it was used as the star in so many dishes. I got to doing more research lately and will be trying out some po'k belly po' boys. (little play on words there 8) )
I figure I will smoke it like I would a brisket and see how it turns out. Once done, I will cool it with a rest then slice it thick and crisp up the skin in the iron skillet and drop it on a hoagie roll with some to-be-determined veggies.
(Insert witty signature here)
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Txdragon wrote:Reading further into the thread, I realize I may not have properly answered the question :laughing7: :laughing7:

There are many ways to cook pork belly that I never, EVER knew about. Until about 2 years ago, all I knew about pork belly was bacon. I had no idea it was used as the star in so many dishes. I got to doing more research lately and will be trying out some po'k belly po' boys. (little play on words there 8) )
I figure I will smoke it like I would a brisket and see how it turns out. Once done, I will cool it with a rest then slice it thick and crisp up the skin in the iron skillet and drop it on a hoagie roll with some to-be-determined veggies.

Smoking it like you would a brisket is great. But you'll have to watch it, you take it up to 200+ degrees, you may render out too much of the fat. I like between 170 and 180 for mine.
Mark Crigler
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:47 pm

image.jpg

This is what my pork belly ended up like. Melted in the mouth, served with side apple sauce, sautéed cabbage and leek, green beans, mini roast tatters, pumpkin n parsnip. My wife's Besty and her hubby said it was the best they ever had. Baileys cheesecake for dessert. We had a French merlot with the pork.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:13 pm

:tup: by jove me thinks he's got it :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Nice crispy crackling was a bonus , meat melted in the mouth, just fell apart. I'm gunna be doing this again.....real soon.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Pic of leftovers for my daughter to have for her lunch tomorrow.

image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:34 pm

one lucky Daughter :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Lol, she's also my harshest critic, she is also a very very good cook, but then she's been taught by the best,lol. She does more baking than I do. I'm making her scotch eggs later in the week.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 pm

That belly looks like it turned out better than mine did! :laughing7: I see you made mention of scotch eggs.. I think I speak for many others as well; we need a write-up on this one! I needs to learn how to make em!
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Maybe in 2 or3 weeks I might be ready to cook the Texas way. Btw we had pork belly my way on Sunday , it's the first time my kids have had me cook it. They all raved how good it was, served 6 adults and the 4 grandys had chicken. Crackling was beautiful.

Russ :chef: :chef:
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Tax dragon the egg recipe is over in the beef section I think ??

They are good!!!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:05 am

That's good medicine right there! :salut:
Thomasd61
Pilgrim

Postby Thomasd61 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 am

woodenvisions wrote:I may be alone here, but I prefer grilling/smoking in the winter and our winters are pretty unforgiving.
Seems like low temps are easier to control when I smoke, almost as if the hot temps and Sun help the temps creep up.
So to answer your question, I grab a hat, jacket, hot coffee rachat de credit bancaire ( or cold beer :) :) :) ) and smoke the neighbors out like a bug bomb lol..

You're right, but smoking too can put you to sleep sometimes.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 pm

I browsed this forum for new recipes or ideas and found this thread. I know this is an old thread but pork belly is a traditional dish here and standard on most tables during Christmas.

We do it is as follows:

Cut through the skin and a little down in the fat. Make a square pattern in the skin. Rub with salt and pepper. Let rest in the fridge for 3 days.

Put the belly in a pan, skin side up. Put a small dish or some crushed aluminum foil under the center of the belly so it is a little higher in the middle. This is to have the melted fat slide away. Pour a cup of water in the pan and cover with foil.

Heat oven to 446 f and steam for 45-60 minutes. The skin will expand and the cracks between the squares will expand.

Take out the pan and reduce oven heat to 392 f. Remove foil and insert the pan in the oven. Let cook for 1 - 1.5 hours. Time is the same no matter how big the belly is. It's because thickness is usually the same.
If after 1.5 hour the skin is not crisp, increase temp to 446 again or use the grill element in the oven. You need to watch continuously so you don't burn the skin.

Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Here's a video of the procedure;

https://youtu.be/Fi-chH3r8ZQ

It should look like the picture below.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm

That's what I'm talking about. I've got another piece in the freezer. I'm doing this again real,soon.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Pork Recipes”