My first ribs

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

My first ribs

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 am

Hallo everybody! Let me show you my first ribs I did at the beginning of the last summer. I was the first low and slow cooking for me.
After rubbed the ribs I putted it in my weber kettle and I tried to keep a constant temperature of 230°-239°F for about 4.30 hours...I glazed with bbq sauce in the last minutes cooking.
My homemade rub was done with: paprika, chili pepper, white pepper, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic and curcuma.
My weber setup was: a charcoal basket on the left and the ribs on the right of the grill with a water pan downside.
The final taste was good, probably just a little too spicy :shock: , but the meat looked cooked rightly and was very juicy :chef: the bones, as you can see from the pictures, came out from the meat. What do you think about? Have you some council for me?
Attachments
20160505_210845.jpg
20160505_210839.jpg
20160505_210834.jpg
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: My first ribs

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 am

Pardnah, them is some great looking Bones :tup: :salut: :cheers: I'm planning a rack of St Louis Pigs on the Pelletizer tomorrow and Y"all keep setting that bar a little higher :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 am

curcuma?
very interesting...i may try that sometime.
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:07 pm

dub' wrote:curcuma?
very interesting...i may try that sometime.

yes but don't put it too much...the meat could become too bitter
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:10 pm

I have a question...I read that someone in the middle of cooking drips the ribs with foil and put apple vinegar and apple juice into to end the cooking....
what do you think about this practice ?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Tasso-Hunter wrote:I have a question...I read that someone in the middle of cooking drips the ribs with foil and put apple vinegar and apple juice into to end the cooking....
what do you think about this practice ?

I do that for many meats, not just ribs. You can even use just apple vinegar by itself! Do not worry about a sour taste, even if you use plain vinegar, there is very little sour at all when you taste. I make a mix of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, bbq rub that i used for the meat, and some crushed red pepper. I will spray or mop that on the meat through the cook, about every hour or so.

Those ribs look great Tasso! Keep it up!
(Insert witty signature here)
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:01 am

Good lookin ribs.

At 230-240 degrees, it would take my ribs about 6-7 hours to pass the bend test. What is he bend test? Bend over close to 90 degrees when picked up using tongs about half way down the rack. Not done until they pass the bend test. Here it is

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Nice!! probably my temperature was higher...probably I was wrong to write the temperature in °F because in Italy we use °C (Celsius degrees) :dont:
the right temperature in Celsius degrees was between 140° and 150°....probably in Farenight is 300? :dont:
Thank you very much, I didn't know that test before...the next time I'll try it :lol:
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 pm

excellent ribs
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:03 am

You wouldn't have to ask me twice if I wanted a rib. :cheers: :cheers: :salut: :salut:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Egg, that's a good tip for me, the egg bend test is now the new test. :cheers: :cheers:

Tasso, we use Celsius here as well, whenever I post temps I always put Celsius so the a merry cans can make the switch to Fahrenheit. Btw great ribs.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:14 pm

First attempts are not supposed to look like that! Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guyeddie
Pilgrim

Postby guyeddie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 pm

You did a pretty decent job on your first try.
Looking forward to more camping trip with my family. I need a new tonneau cover to secure my equipment and pit.

Return to “Pork Recipes”