Chicken heaven, chicken he&&

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Chicken heaven, chicken he&&

Postby Boots » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:40 am

So, to start with, frying isnot my big deal. Makes a huge mess in the kitchen, smokes up the Hacienda Boots, and my wife generally avoids fatty foods like the plague unless I cook them to utter perfection. Thus historically, you rarely find any kind of fried foods under the Boots archive unless say it's called for fish and chips.

However, recently I've determined that Boots needed to add some deep-fried skills to his toolbox, and with the wife out of town visiting the Mamacita and Boots Junior wanting fried chicken for Thanksgiving dinner, the opportunity was ripe. Therefore I dug into the deepest, dustiest recesses of the vault, and out came the propane flame thrower stand and my old reliable pressure cooker, Sputnik, and we lumbered out to the front porch to create some magic.

As is always the case, the photos are worth 1000 words (and thus you are spared 8000 from the usual Boots diatribe).

Like most things, there is a wrong way and a right way to do it, and as is usually the case, you do it the wrong way before you figure out the right way. Basically there is a radically discernible difference between dropping a battered bird into a pot of 525° oil versus dropping one into a pot of 350° oil. I must say however, that the bird in the first picture turned out juicy and delicious, once you peeled away all the astroid part. And the beautiful thing was, it was completely cooked within 15 minutes. Try doing that in a microwave....

I leave it up to your usually fertile and sarcastic minds to figure out which is which.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Boots
Attachments
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
Last edited by Boots on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Chicken heaven, chicken he&&

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:52 am

Nice Black Friday smile :laughing7: :D :lol: - - - FWIW, I too hate to fry foods, especially Cluckers - - - do you mind sharing that Blackening Recipe :whiteflag: :roll: :shock: :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:40 am

Yeah that's taking Black Friday to a whole different level!! Bet it did eat good on the inside though!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 am

I don't have a prejudice bone in my body. It would tackle either one. :angryfire: :mrgreen:
Last edited by egghead on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:16 pm

Funny thing... chicken meat in the asteroid half was more tender and tastier than the golden one. Might just do it again same way next time. Breading don't trump good meat, and I can always make biscuits on the side.

Plus, we had cream gravy, and pushed it around with jalapeño sweet Kings Hawaiian rolls. Hard to cry over a little spilled batter in this case.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:15 pm

"WELL DONE" Boots :lol: :salut:
Looks like you maybe on to sumtin :chef:

Bill
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:37 am

and I just thought you had a religious connection and made a "burnt offering" :laughing7:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 am

How did I miss this?! Boots, if I got this right, you fried them in a pressure cooker? If so.. Is it specific to frying? I have never done any pressure cooking but have been looking into trying it out, and fried chicken was to be my first endeavor. Also, the first pic looks a lot like this guy below. He is not cooked though lol
silkie-chicken.jpg
silkie-chicken.jpg (198.8 KiB) Viewed 6786 times

The Chinese black silkie chicken. :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Never saw a black cheekin before this month, now I've seen two of them. I didn't put the lid on Sputnik this time. I figure that the batter on my chicken just cooked and carbonized within 30 seconds in 525 degree oil. By comparison, think about this: the hot tar poured on highways and roofs goes on at about 400 degrees, and can spontaneously catch fire over 450. No wonder my chicken looked like tar. But it tasted good...

Tip to remember- make sure yer chicken is fully thawed first, and make sure you don't put in too much oil such that it overflows when you put the chicken in as this can start a big fire (pretty similar to a diesel fire (https://youtu.be/IP3qh6Qym40). Lots of people find this out the hard way trying to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE

Return to “Pork Recipes”