Hot ham for dinner

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Hot ham for dinner

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Sunday night, family all coming for dinner, we won 2 x 1/2 hams at the pub Friday night so at my kids request I'm doing hot ham and salad and new potatoes out of wife's garden . I'm digging them soon.
Pics to follow. I've taken the outside skin off the ham and scored it. Glaze is as I've stated on here before, equal parts apricot jam,maple syrup,bourbon. And a small jar 200mls honey grain mustard. Cook at 150 degrees for 2 hours basting every 15 to 20 mins.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hot ham for dinner

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:59 pm

image.jpg

Precook

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:12 pm

reminds me of my old laying hen :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:32 pm

No more pics, family all arrived and I forgot to take more pics, suffice to say it was all eaten. Seved with salad and new potatoes.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Bet it looked as good as it disappeared,Pard. Do Y'all ever do new taters with a white sauce :?: Back in the day I would top mulch my red taters with last years Hay and then all I had to do was pull the hay back and harvest the smaller new taters - - - no digging required. :idea:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:36 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Bet it looked as good as it disappeared,Pard. Do Y'all ever do new taters with a white sauce :?: Back in the day I would top mulch my red taters with last years Hay and then all I had to do was pull the hay back and harvest the smaller new taters - - - no digging required. :idea:

Nah, we love digging our new tatties, lol. Granddaughter and I digging and her picking them up. Brilliant. Never tried your way. Lots of butter, they are heavenly morsels. Next feed is Christmas day.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Only reason I top mulched was to let some go ahead and get full size :dont: :tup: I can still remember the scolding that I would get when my GD and I would play in the dirt :laughing7: Here's the white sauce that my Mom and Grandma used to do. https://adriennecooks.com/2012/08/13/so ... ite-sauce/
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:42 am

Thanks em, that's my roux I use to make croquettes with. My late mum used to make a white parsley sauce. I didn't like it.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:46 pm

OUP said it first lol. It looked like a hen sitting on a nest for a second, then I started reading the text :laughing7: Wish we would have seen some of the finished product, but I certainly understand how it goes when you've got a hungry crowd to feed and they're starting to chase the other animals with knives and forks; you just can't get those last shots in! I still want to try out that glaze.. Maybe soon.. :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Txd this is pretty close to my finished ham, the glaze is just heaven kids put leftover glaze over their ham. The cat got the last remnants.lol.
image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Ps, my mate who loves my glazed ham so much it was served for dinner the night after he got married earlier this year. I was his best man. He saved the glaze for himself to eat with other meats during the week.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Pork Recipes”