Pork Butt advice needed

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Legomedic3405
Pilgrim

Pork Butt advice needed

Postby Legomedic3405 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:40 pm

Hey everyone. I have only been smoking meat for about a year now and finally decided to smoke a pork butt. Obviously i have never smoked one before so i am looking for any advice, tips or tricks before smoking a pork butt. In case you are wondering, it is an 8.5lb bone in pork butt. TIA.
rwalters
Pilgrim

Pork Butt advice needed

Postby rwalters » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:58 am

One of the most forgiving cuts of meat there is :)

Smoke between 225-275°... your choice. I prefer between 225-250° but that’s just me.

Not sure what type of smoker you are using. If it’s a moist cooking environment, you may be able to cook the entire time unwrapped. If not, then most people will wrap in foil or butcher paper when the internal temp hits about 160-165° (the stall). Safe to assume you are familiar with the stall?

Once the butt hits about 195° internal temp start probing for tenderness. Somewhere between 195-210° it should probe like butter. At that point remove from smoker and allow to sit uncovered for about 20 mins to stop the cooking process. After 20 mins, wrap tightly in foil, cover it with a towel and place in a cooler for a minimum of 90 mins... you can go as long as 5-6 hours with no issue. Typically the longer the rest, the more tender the end product.

Once pulled I prefer a good finishing sauce to add a ton of flavor and moisture. I typically make a batch of this and incorporate into the pulled pork. It’s really good.

Enough for 2 butts
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
Squirt of favorite hot sauce
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Pork Butt advice needed

Postby GRailsback » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:55 am

Cook it until you can pull the bone out by hand, then you are good to go. I usually pan mine after several hours and cover. Periodically wiggling the bone to see how tight it still is.
Last edited by GRailsback on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pork Butt advice needed

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:21 am

Here's a Recipe that a valued Member here gave me and I've used it with great success - - - Thanks again, Papa Tom:

He is speaking about me using my Pellet Grill to do a Pork Butt.
For pork butt I usually put 2-3 inches of hickory in the bottom of the hopper then top with oak. Hickory is good but can be too strong.
Never tried but apple should be good.
I never spritz but lots of folks do I bought "set and forget" why ruin a good thing?
I do foil @ 160°F IT and take to 205° .
Rubs I use whatever (but avoid spicy hot) my preference is Hog Waller sometimes use mustard as a glue other times I use honey I think I prefer honey.
My big secret is really no secret however it is divisive & has lovers and haters.
Once we invited over a dedicated BGE user (also the hospital administrator) who talked of how good their pulled pork was off the BGE then took a bite of ours and he and his wife looked at each other and said "This is the best I have EVER had"
The secret Lexington sauce:
Pulled Pork finishing sauce
Yield. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Preparation time. About 20 minutes.
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of distilled vinegar
¼ cup ketchup
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
About the vinegar. Seems to me that the best sauces in the area were made with distilled white vinegar, not cider vinegar. So I tried my recipes with both and I liked the distilled better. If you want to use cider, feel free. Pour all the ingredients into a jar and shake. Let it sit for at least 12 hours to allow the flavors to meld. A week is better. Sprinkle on the pork while pulling now the word of caution my granddaughter hates it because she hates the vinegar taste. Most people love it. I will make two batches " With & Without" or have a shaker bottle handy. Folks will typically not use the shaker bottle because it really doesn't look or smell appealing but it really is magic on pulled pork.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Pork Recipes”