Slow Braised Pork in Guajillo Sauce

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

h00kemh0rns USER_AVATAR
h00kemh0rns
Pilgrim

Postby h00kemh0rns » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:30 pm

This is not for the faint of heart but the time is rewarded. Here's the easy to follow recipe:

Coconut Jasmine Rice
Whole Black Beans

Slow Braised Pork Ingredient list:
• 5 lbs of cubed Boston Butt (keep them to 1 ½ to 2” pieces, trim all excess fat, not needed as the marbling is sufficient in the meat.)1
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 6 Garlic Cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 1 medium yellow onion coarsely chopped
• 16 Large Dried guajillo chilies (New Mexico Dried can be an alternative to Guajillo)
• 1-2 red jalapenos, deveined, seeds removed and diced(green can be substituted.)
• 4 cups water
• 1 tbsp Dried Mexican oregano (not italian/greek)
• 1 teaspoon Black pepper, whole or freshly ground
• 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
• 4 cups pork stock 2
• 1 tbsp Cumin
• 1 tbsp Ground Coriander
• 1 tbsp Comino
• 1 tbsp Cinnamon
Used for finally in crockpot:
• 1 medium yellow onion julienned
• 1 anaheim pepper juliened
• 4 cloves garlic diced
• 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 Braising involves searing and cooking in a liquid low and slow. I replace the searing with smoking and it imparts a better flavor.
2 If you debone the boston butts and typically throw out the bones you’re getting rid of the most flavor and I cringe at the thought. Next time, get yourself a cleaver or two and split that bone up (marrow is good), toss it in a large pot, throw in diced carrots, celery, garlic and onion along with a couple bay leaves, S&P to taste, then cover with water leaving 2" from the top. Reduce in half, strain, cool, and freeze in quart or smaller containers/ice cube trays. Use as needed.
Start the fire in the pit. I use a combination of white oak for the constant heat and then feed it hickory/pecan for the light flavoring throughout the 4 hr smoke time. Keep the temp in the range of no lower than 225 and no higher than 240. Once you’ve got it up to temp spread out the cubed pork on grates and smoke for approx 4 hrs.
While the meat is smoking make the guajillo sauce. Break the stems off the guajillos, tear the chilies open and remove the seeds; set aside. In a large heavy bottom pot add oil and heat over medium fire. Add garlic, onion, jalepeno(s) and guajillos and heat until the onions are soft. Pour in the four cups of water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer on med/high for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool enough to place in blender (in batches; leave room for heat/steam), then puree. Strain mixture of all solids into new pot. Add oregano, salt, pepper, stock, cumin, coriander, comino, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then let simmer until reduced down to 4-5 cups of sauce. Stir in cilantro at the end. Turn off the heat and let cool. Go ahead and take half the sauce into containers for freezing.
After the pork has smoked for about 4 hrs and the sauce reduced by almost half we will bring everything together. Either in a crock pot or heavy bottom pan (I prefer Le Creuset) place 2 cups of the guajillo sauce, pork, juliened onions, chopped garlic, cilantro, and Anaheim pepper. On the lowest setting possible braise for a minimum of 4 hrs. I usually do this for 12 hrs and have the next day. Taste…salt and pepper if needed.
Prep Time: 30-45 min
Cook Time: 8 – 16 hrs

Jasmine Rice Ingredient list:
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• ½ cup diced carrot
• ½ medium onion diced
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1 cup Jasmine or Basmati Rice
• ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
• ¼ cup white wine
• ¾ cup pork stock
• 1 cup sweet peas (fresh if available; no liquid)
• 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Once hot add the carrot, onion, and garlic, saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the white wine and stir. Add the stock and the coconut milk. Give the rice a good stir and bring to a gentle boil. Once the rice just begins to boil, lower the heat and cover. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked and all the liquid has evaporated. DO NOT be tempted to check on the rice before 20 min is up! Fluff with a fork and stir in the peas, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 20-30 min

Black Bean ingredient list:
• 1 1/4 cups black beans (about 1/2 pound)
• 12 cups water
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 4-6 garlic cloves diced
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp sea salt
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• Freshly ground black pepper

Put the beans in a large saucepan, add the water and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Set aside, covered, for 1 hour. Return the beans to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, cook uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, and coriander about 1 minute more. Add the onion mixture to the beans and continue simmering until the beans are very tender and the liquid has thickened, about 1 1/2 hours more. If the beans seem too thick, adjust the consistency with a little bit of water. Stir in the vinegar, season with the salt, cayenne, and pepper to taste.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 4- 4 ½ hrs

Serve everything with warm flour tortillas, pico de gallo, cilantro, sour cream, and plenty of beer 
Last edited by h00kemh0rns on Wed May 27, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Another one copied! This one looks really good!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Wow! looks overwhelming but believe it or not there are only a couple ingredients I don't already have unfortunately one of them is pork stock.
You list both cumin and comino in the ingredients for the pork?
tarde venientibus ossa....
h00kemh0rns USER_AVATAR
h00kemh0rns
Pilgrim

Postby h00kemh0rns » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Wow! looks overwhelming but believe it or not there are only a couple ingredients I don't already have unfortunately one of them is pork stock.
You list both cumin and comino in the ingredients for the pork?

Yes, sorry it's a recipe that's part tribal knowledge in that I have a smoked comino which is really good. Two different layers of flavor... Might not be necessary but then again...it's one of those that has worked after many trial and errors.

You can get away with water in lieu of the stock...there are so many spices you probably won't miss it.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:07 pm

I wonder about swapping canned chipotle for the red jalapeño? This recipe sounds really good. Thanks
tarde venientibus ossa....
h00kemh0rns USER_AVATAR
h00kemh0rns
Pilgrim

Postby h00kemh0rns » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I wonder about swapping canned chipotle for the red jalapeño? This recipe sounds really good. Thanks

Tried that before...problem with chipotles is that they take on a overwhelming role when combining with other peppers regardless of ratio. The red jalepenos are milder than the green or the chipotles but adds small flavor and some heat.

But, with any recipe feel free to tweak to suit your tastes. I love 'stealing' and being the mad scientist in the kitchen. Half the fun is 'creating' your own twist.
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Pretty good looking stuff, for a t-sip!

I have one similar to that but I use New Mexico chiles and chiles arbol. Keep up the good work!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)

Return to “Pork Recipes”