Mexican Chicken "Goulash"

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hornian
Pilgrim

Mexican Chicken "Goulash"

Postby hornian » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:42 pm

This is a recipe I created and posted over on hornfans a while back, thought it would fit in well here too.

I don't know what else to call this creation of mine, last winter I was hungry and I didn't want to go to the store, so I started rummaging around in my pantry and fridge until I assembled a rag tag bunch of ingredients. I threw them together and it turned out pretty well. So well in fact I've made it several times since then, and my roommates have specifically requested that I make it on more than one occasion.

Here's the main ingredients that I've come up with (I add or subtract as I see fit):

-~1 lb of chicken (I usually use that HEB pre-marinated chicken fajita meat, but chicken breasts work as well)
-1 can of Ranch Style Beans (with jalapeños)
-A small jar of store bought salsa
-A small tub of sour cream
-A couple of bell peppers
-A white onion
-Minced garlic
-Cholula
-Cumin
-Paprika
-Tortilla chips
-Shredded cheese

To start off, I collected the main ingredients:

I cut up about a pound of the chicken and threw it into a deep skillet that I had heated up on my stove:

While that was starting to cook, I coarsely chopped the peppers and onions, and added them to the skillet, along with some minced garlic. I mixed that all around, and added the cumin and paprika (no measurements, but if I had to guess about a 1.5 tablespoons of cumin and about .5 tablespoons of paprika):

I mixed it all again, and kept it cooking until the chicken was cooked through. Then I added the Ranch Style Beans and the Salsa, I just dumped the whole can/jar in the skillet:

I then mixed all of that together, and added a liberal amount of Cholula:

Next I just dolloped out the sour cream:

And stirred the concoction until it was pretty smooth:

After that was done, I turned the heat down to about medium, and I simmered it down for about 15-20 minutes.

During that time, I decided that some fresh tortillas would be pretty tasty with my dinner. However, not being a little old Mexican lady, I'm not too adept at making fresh tortillas. Luckily, HEB has me covered. They sell these raw tortillas, I usually find them over by the eggs, and they are allsome:

All you have to do is heat up a skillet and and cook each side, it's simple, and they taste much better than anything else you'll buy at a store:

After I had cooked 4 tortillas (2 for me, 2 for my roommate), the "goulash" was pretty much done. It had cooked down a bit, and everything was looking good:

Now through trial and error, I have discovered that this dish is great with tortilla chips, much the same way that chicken tortilla soup is great with tortilla strips. And I've found that it helps to line your bowl with the chips before you serve the main course, like so (the ones on the side stick up so that you can grab them and eat them, again, trial and error):

Then, you spoon/ladle/whatever the "goulash" on top of the chips, and top with shredded cheese. And of course, enjoy it with a tasty malted beverage. I was out of Mexican beer, so I had to "settle" for on of New Belgium's offerings:

And that's that. It's tasty, it's easy, and it the leftovers make great tacos.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Looks like some good eats. :D
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Looks delicious! The kids'd have problems with the japs and Cholula, but the wife and I wouldn't. :twisted: Thanks for sharing!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:22 pm

Looks good, but needs a better name :lol: Have to have noodles for goolash. Never seen the raw flour tortillas, but the raw corn ones are aplenty here. Wish I had a plate of those vittles right about now. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:53 am

Very Nice!! Nice presentation with the instructional pictures....I need to try it...thanks
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:40 pm

I like it, photos are awesome. We have a Mexican store here that makes tortillas daily. Corn and flour they are always warm. Kept in cooler chest. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 am

that looks fantastic....never seen them raw tortillas before. Seen the corn ones. looks really good!
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:55 pm

Looks awesome !

...needs sum mo hot sauce. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards,
Scotty
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 pm

Nothing but rain here today so I decided to give Hornian's recipe a try.

This recipe is good, nice and spicey too!

Thanks for sharing Horn, willbe making this again.
a stumpted toe hurts
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Well that was certainly a good looking recipe. Thanks for sharing. Also great tip on them frozen flour torts...never thought of that angle. Just know the ho made models is too labor intensive for gringos and the pre cooked ones in the bags dont taste right. You got any top secret carne guisada recipes I need to know about? :wink:

bigwheel
Spencer
Pilgrim

Tried your recipe

Postby Spencer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Tried your recipe this week. Sure was good- the whole family Loved it.
You should create some more stuff and post it.
Thanks,
Spencer
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Thats a keeper, thanks for posting!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
hornian
Pilgrim

Postby hornian » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 pm

bigwheel wrote: You got any top secret carne guisada recipes I need to know about? :wink:

bigwheel

Actually, I do. I've been meaning to cook up a batch sometime soon. I'll do that and post some pictures/directions. Hopefully it'll be this weekend.

Return to “Poultry Recipes”