bbq chicken

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cookingwolfe
Pilgrim

bbq chicken

Postby cookingwolfe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:44 pm

I know of coarse that the issue has been addressed.
I just can't find it.
so here it goes.
I need a recipe for a whole bbq chicken.
I tried the beer can method and it didn't add a bit of flavor.
so I need a method and a recipe
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: bbq chicken

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:35 pm

I brine mine in this 1hr per lb

Blu's Bird Brine

1/2 gal water
1/4 cup Salt
1/4 cup honey
1 tbl cider vinegar
Juice from 1/2 lemon & 1/2 lime
1 tbl hot sauce

Brine 1 hr lb rinse well pat dry

Blu's Pollo Rojo
Spatch cock the bird bring the pit to 325
Prepare wet rub
WET RUB
1 tbl Chili powder
1 tbl paprika
1 tsp ea . garlic powder & comino
1/3 cup mayonnaise

Mix the spieces & the mayo cover the chicken with the rub completly cook skin side down indirect until done
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 pm

+1 for the spatchcock method. A good way to keep your bird whole and speed up the cook time. Looks pretty cool too.

I go a little different on my brine:
1c sugar
1c kosher salt
1 gal water
Bring to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp before introducing the bird. And I brine overnight.

Rinse well and pat dry (what he said).
Then mix a simple rub of salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Coat the bird generously and make sure to get the rub under the skin.
Place the bird uncovered in the fridge for about an hour to dry out the skin. Smoke @ 325-350 about 1.5 hrs until temp in thigh is 170

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
cookingwolfe
Pilgrim

Postby cookingwolfe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:27 pm

o.k. you gave me a recipe. now I need the method.
one thing I didn't tell you is that I have a weber kettle grill.
and controlling the temp is hard without having thermometer
I do love any recipe that I can get. thank you
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:44 am

Starting to sound like a homeless guy begging for a cigarette and a light. All you brought with you was the habit.

It might be time to invest in a thermometer and a Weber smoke box for that kettle

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:25 am

A modest fire will run about 325-350 with all vents wide open cook it indirect. Oven therms are $5 in just about every store round cheer. :dont:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
cookingwolfe
Pilgrim

Postby cookingwolfe » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:17 pm

CypertJ wrote:Starting to sound like a homeless guy begging for a cigarette and a light. All you brought with you was the habit.

It might be time to invest in a thermometer and a Weber smoke box for that kettle

I thought that was what this forum was all about. helping other people :o
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:45 pm

cookingwolfe wrote:
CypertJ wrote:Starting to sound like a homeless guy begging for a cigarette and a light. All you brought with you was the habit.

Think he was just funning with ya. :lol:

I would light up a chimney of charcoal or lump, put a few chunks of your favorite wood. Lay them on one side, chicken on the other, weber lid with the exhaust vent pointed as the same side of the chicken. should take an hour to hour and a half. Check the temp of the chicken between leg and thigh at 167 pull it. Blu Dawgs recipe is a good one. Good luck.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:59 pm

cookingwolfe wrote:I thought that was what this forum was all about. helping other people :o

Sigh... I should have inserted a clever emoticon so you could have seen the humor. My bad.

I gave you a pretty detailed description of how I smoke a whole chicken. :?:roll: Still not sure how that doesn't qualify as being helpful :roll::?

cookingwolfe
Pilgrim

Postby cookingwolfe » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm

limey wrote:
cookingwolfe wrote:

Think he was just funning with ya. :lol:

I would light up a chimney of charcoal or lump, put a few chunks of your favorite wood. Lay them on one side, chicken on the other, weber lid with the exhaust vent pointed as the same side of the chicken. should take an hour to hour and a half. Check the temp of the chicken between leg and thigh at 167 pull it. Blu Dawgs recipe is a good one. Good luck.

I am sorry. I had some words with some other cooking forum just because I asked to many questions.
I figure the only way to learn is to ask. :)
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm a fellow cooker who was and am always scared of the yard bird. I recently took 2nd at a comp out of 150 cooks. It was the best bird I've ever cooked and man it was tasty! I hope I can repeat it! Anyways, take this for what it is, it's the first walk I've ever had in chicken and it could be a fluke, but here's what I did.

Brined over night in 50/50 chicken stock/water, salt, sugar, paprika, curry, red pepper flakes. Cook to a boil, then cool completely. Soak birds. After brine, dry birds then air dry for additional hr. cover with fav seasoning. I made a personal version of sucklebusters hoochie mama rub. Mine has a hair less heat and a lil diff after taste, but very similar. Dust bird completely, including under skin. Cook for 1hr 15min @350* rest for 30, then throw on iron 400* skillet for 10 min, flipping after 5.

Eat and enjoy!
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 pm

There are a 101 different brine recipes ... take one from here or look up a few others on Google. If you wanna go a step further inject with chicken stock. Be sure and rinse the bird once you take it out of the brine to remoce any salt that would make it too salty, or sugar that would scorch and burn on the outside. Cook @ 325-350 for about an 1 hr and 15 min- 1 hr 30 min... best way to know its done is breast temp at 165F in the thickest part. Pull and let rest 20-30 min's before cutting so the juices do run out and it drys.

Beer can chicken is a waste of time IMO... spatchcock or cut into halves.

Best of luck !!
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JohnBFryJr
Pilgrim

Postby JohnBFryJr » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Momma always told me 1 hour then flip, another hour then ready at 350. This weekend she came over and wouldn't let me take the chicken off for 4 hours and said it wasn't done. I think she was drunk. I prefer 2 hours at 300-350 depending on how cold the beer is.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Well all good suggestions on "recipes" for yardbirds. But take them for what they are as theyn are incomplete recipes. Yarbirds range in size from 3 to 6 pounds at most grocery stores depending on the brand name and whether they are free range, natural or pumped birds. 300 to 350 degree temps for 1.5 to 2 hours will crispy critter a 3 pound bird and probably be good on a six pounder. No way to learn but to take these forums for what they are, suggestions, put the time in and develop yer own recipe.

I use 4 pound birds, cut in half, backbone removed, injected and cook at 325 to 350 degrees and they are done in 1.3 to 1.5 hours give or take a few minutes. Cookin to 170 degrees on the thigh. That is done for me. Others take thighs to 175, some 180, some check breasts only at 160 to 162 degrees. You just gotta figure it out.

Return to “Poultry Recipes”