Need Chicken Diablo Recipe

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Need Chicken Diablo Recipe

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:45 am

There is a place in Montgomery, Tx called "Phil's Roadhouse" and they make a Chicken Diablo that I am severely addicted to. :cheers: However, I would like to be able to do some at the la casa if need be. All they are is basically chicken, strip of jalapeno and cheese wrapped in bacon with a Pico and Dressing topping. I'm thinking they do these in the oven but maybe you could also do them on the Pit with a litle Mesquite taste added.

Any and all ideas, recipes or comments is always welcome ! :salut:

OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Need Chicken Diablo Recipe

Postby Finatic » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 am

I use a basic Chicken Diablo recipe (made some this past weekend). To me this recipe is best kept simple. I’ve tried adding cream cheese, stuffings, etc. and it all melts and ends up on the grate.

Your favorite chicken brine recipe (very important step)
2.5 lbs chicken (breasts or tenders)
2-12 oz cans of sliced pickled jalapenos
16 oz Fresco Con Jalapeno Cheese (cut into strips)
2 lbs. Hickory smoked thin sliced bacon (use thick sliced bacon if smoking)
1 cup mustard based barbecue sauce (or your favorite sauce)
2 tablespoons Mother Cluckin chicken rub (or your favorite chicken seasoning)
Small box of toothpicks
4 cold beers

Start with your first beer. I typically use chicken tenders since there is very little or no trimming involved. You can use chicken breasts but you’ll need to slice them in half (as if you were filleting a fish) then cut them into 2” wide strips). I find that brining the chicken (1 hour per pound) is key to keeping the chicken breasts moist. I use a basic chicken brine of 1 quart water, ¼ cup kosher salt and add 2 cups bbq sauce to the brine. You’ll need to boil this brine to blend the ingredients (I do this the night before) and chill the brine (you can use ice to chill the brine if you’re short on time). Then brine the chicken for about 3 hours. Sit back and have another beer.

If you're cooking over coals now is the time to get them ready- and grab another beer. After the chicken is brined, pat it dry and season both sides and let sit for about 20 minutes open in the fridge. Slice the Fresco Con Jalapeno cheese (it’s important to use this cheese or a high heat cheese that won’t melt real fast- I’ve tried regular pepper jack and cheddar cheese’s and they melt and fall out before the diablos are done) into strips about half the size of a standard band aid and about 1/4" thick. On a clean table (or you can lay down a piece of Saran wrap for easy cleaning) lay out slices of bacon cut in half. Lay the chicken on the bacon. Place one slice of cheese & one big slice of jalapeno (or two slices if they are small) on the chicken (cross ways) then roll the bacon into a ball around the ingredients. Use a toothpick to hold together. If you use thicker pieces of chicken you may need ¾ slice of bacon. Be careful and not put too much bacon. I know that’s hard to do but too much bacon takes too long to cook and dries out the chicken. No they are ready for the grill.

Note- the process of putting everything together usually takes about 30 minutes.

When I start putting everything together I’ll take half the chicken out of the fridge at one time so the chicken doesn’t get too warm.
I usually (grab another beer) and cook them over coals at about 350. To me higher heat cooks the bacon better. After flipping them once begin to brush on a healthy layer of bbq sauce (I think a mustard based sauce goes great with this recipe). Make sure you brush both sides with sauce and the sauce cooks in. Once the bacon is done they are ready. Serve immediately.

Hope this helps. Let me know (if you try it) how it goes.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 am

Very Nice, Finatic, and very well explained also. I do appreciate this Recipe and I WILL BE giving it a shake down before too long. More than likely I will be doing them over coals and I will report back with pics and blow by blow.

OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:33 am

You should give this a try for the Mustard BBQ Sauce - This stuff is Larapin http://www.sucklebusters.com/bbq-sauces/mustard-bbq-sauce/
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:15 pm

This is easy
Chicken Diablo Hj’s

Take large jalapeño’s ñ remove the insides ñ stem. Either way make whole or half the jalapeño’s.

In a bowl add smoked chicken or any chicken shredded on hand with shredded Pepper Jack Cheese adding some touch of garlic granular ñ cilantro leaves only (very few mix well ñ add salt if needed – sometimes I add cumin powder to this. Make a chipotle glaze for these.

Bake or grill these Oven 350°F. till jalapeño’s cooked through.
Spoon glaze over while cooking or after n serve some on side. Grill as usual

~Chipotle Creamy Sauce Hj's

1 c. Mexican crema or crème fraìche or yogurt plain
1 to 2 chipotles in adobo seeds removed small more if U like the heat
Little garlic granular to UR taste or 1 to 2 garlic dice fine
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste

Using a food processer or blender add all the above ñ blend till very smooth. Chill covered.

Note~ can make this with green chili’s or jalapeño’s or serrano’s if U don’t like chipotle taste

Or
Chipotle Glaze Hj's
1 tsp. smoked paprika
8 Tbsps. chipotle in adobo sauce
4 Tbsps. honey
Cilantro leaves chop for garnish if desired
Salt if U want

Whisk together chipotle in adobo with honey - adjust to taste. Brush glaze onto ribs or chicken adobe place back into the oven - uncovered 30 minutes for ribs ñ less for stuffed jalapeño halves or whole ones. Remove from oven - pour additional glaze over top if desired or serve glaze on the side. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.

Use on chicken or ribs or on chicken diablo stuffed jalapeño’s
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Gracias, Hj, had me six from Phil's Roadhouse today and I gotta start making them soon. :tup:

Return to “Poultry Recipes”