'Nuther Smoked Turkey Question...

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

'Nuther Smoked Turkey Question...

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:20 pm

Would I be able to smoke a turkey on Monday or Tuesday and it be ok for Thursday?

Got to thinking that I am working all during T-giving and wont be able to smoke one after Tuesday. :taz:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 pm

I have done a few prior to the day to eat..Just don't seem as good.. as fresh..Maybe some of the other guys have a better way of keeping them for a few days..
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:57 pm

No I'm with Smoked they dry out and just aren't as good. However they still make darn good sammys.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:34 am

I am with the others...maybe 1 day max.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:40 am

Oh well... Looks like an oven roasted turkey for me... :cry:
Chuck

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:11 am

Guess you could try smoking it till it gets above 150*, let rest till it cools down, wrap in foil and stick in the fridge. Finish it off in the oven on Turkey Day.

Sounds feasible in theory anyway. :?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:28 am

Well, my wife was bent outta shape anyways, so I will just let the inlaws worry about the turkey and I will just chill out all day! I will be tired from work anyway.

Wife wanted an oven baked turkey because thats what she grew up eating on T-Giving! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:52 am

nascarchuck wrote:Well, my wife was bent outta shape anyways, so I will just let the inlaws worry about the turkey and I will just chill out all day! I will be tired from work anyway.

Wife wanted an oven baked turkey because thats what she grew up eating on T-Giving! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So did mine, but after last year and the success of the smoked bird....smoked is now the new tradition, made mandatory by my wife 8)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:55 am

nascarchuck wrote:Wife wanted an oven baked turkey because thats what she grew up eating on T-Giving! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense intended to your wife, Chuck, but I grew up on oven-roasted turkey, too. Mom always cooked it dry and tasteless. Can't say I miss it much. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:58 am

bowhnter wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:Well, my wife was bent outta shape anyways, so I will just let the inlaws worry about the turkey and I will just chill out all day! I will be tired from work anyway.

So did mine, but after last year and the success of the smoked bird....smoked is now the new tradition, made mandatory by my wife 8)

My justification for hanging on to my Weber Kettle is that the Mrs Loves the roasted turkey I do on it. It's the one time each year it gets used. Old school method, no temp probes or thermometers. Just set up for indirect and let her rip. I do brine the bird (no enhanced BBalls for me) and use the bacon basting method. And I stuff it too. I know thats not PC anymore but I don't care...neither is Peking Duck and there are no shortages of Chinese folks in the world 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:30 pm

Cold, smoked 2-3-4 day old turkey is pretty danged good! I know that we eat it all the time, for like two or so weeks after Thanksgiving! :lol:

Seriously, while a freshly cooked bird is best, a smoked bird will hold for a couple of days. Turkeys are so cheap this time of the year, pick up a couple and give it a try... I know that turks are on sale here at Kroger's for $0.37lb, so at most you would probably be out only $5.00 if it didn't work out for ya!

James.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Well, I grew up on oven roasted turkey's myself, but I want to try something different and start a new tradition! :wink:

At my inlaws, they normally have two turkey's. I thought that I would bring a third (smoked) and if there were any leftovers (smoked), take that home with us.

I may go ahead and buy a couple of turkeys and fix them later. Actually, I am off during Christmas! :thap:
Chuck

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:38 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Guess you could try smoking it till it gets above 150*, let rest till it cools down, wrap in foil and stick in the fridge. Finish it off in the oven on Turkey Day.

Sounds feasible in theory anyway. :?

Hey yeah this works I've done this. I smoked the bird to good and smoked but not completely done I didn't take it's temp but 150 would be good. Then I put it in one of those plastic cooking bags and refrigerated couple days later popped it in the oven and finished it off. Turned out very good. I did it like this because we traveled to my son's place. Wear your gloves and put it into the bag hot to help prevent contamination.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:41 pm

There is no way that partially cooking a turkey or any poultry then finishing it off later is a good idea. You are just setting your self up for a long night on the can or worse... Just because it may have worked for some would not be a good reason to expose anybody that your feeding to possible illness.

Check out the links from this simple Google search...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X ... ey&spell=1

James.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:31 am

JamesB,
That is certainly a long list of sites saying not to partially cook a turkey. I looked at several of them, and all said "partially cook".

What I suggested would take said bird out of the danger area. I've never tried it, but if the bird is past 150* in the thigh sans stuffing and rapidly cooled it could be argued that it would be safe. But, I'm no expert in these things and wouldn't want to poison my in-laws. Outlaws are another matter :wink:
Deputy Dave

Return to “Poultry Recipes”