Turkey Jerky

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Turkey Jerky

Postby Finatic » Sun May 15, 2016 3:33 pm

One of my sons favorite things is Dads turkey jerky. Since it was his birthday I made up a small batch. This for him but Dad will have to approve the quality first. :laughing7:

I use just the turkey breast out of a turkey (usually make turkey soup out of the rest of the bird). I don't have a measured recipe. I like to keep it simple. I slice up the breast into thin strips, lay them out on a sheet of butcher paper and sprinkle a healthy coat of poultry rub on all sides. I do add salt and black pepper after the poultry rub. I put the meat in a ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight. For the smoke I put the jerky on the smoker at 180-200 using post oak for one hour. That's about all the smoke the breast strips can take. Then put it in the dehydrator for 6-8 hours. Then enjoy.

This small batch which is all the breast meat from a 16 lb. bird will be gone in a day or two.
Makes a great snack!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Small batch of turkey jerky
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Turkey Jerky

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 15, 2016 4:26 pm

"touche, Fin, you don't use any liquid at all on those :?: That would be just enough for one day on the Deer Camp and about five minutes if my G-babies are around :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Looks good. I've never made jerky before. Is there a particular dehydrator you'd recommend for someone getting started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Don't know what Fins looks like but I've had one for many years that I got at Wally World - - it's round and you can add and stack the trays. I had to increase to 3 trays before I could justify a good Jerky cook. I'll get it down tomorrow and post a pic here if Fin doesn't mind?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon May 16, 2016 6:48 am

I don't mind at all OUP. The dehydrator I have is overkill. Teresa bought me a commercial grade 80 liter Cabela's dehydrator for Christmas last year. Honestly it's a POS! I'm on my 2nd unit and it stopped working on me yesterday. Still waiting for customer service to call me back and let me know what the are going to do for this one. Had to finish the jerky in the oven.

As far as what dehydrator works best I'm not the one to ask. This is the first one I've ever had. I've always just used the oven in the past. Set the oven on 160 (or lower if it has a lower setting) put the jerky in and let it go. If you marinate your jerky (or your jerky just has a lot of moisture in the meat) you may need to stick a fork in the oven door so the door doesn't completely close for about 10 minutes every hour so the moisture has a way out.

I have a friend who also has a smaller round unit and it works great.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 16, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks Fin, :tup: Sooner here are some pics of mine and, like I said, it is pretty old but still does the job. It is American Harvest Brand, four trays and a drip tray. The inserts come out for very easy cleaning also, leaving you a grate and a ring. I've done Bambi Jerky, fruits and ground Jerky using the Jerky Shooter. My Kids and G-Kids will make them all disappear quickly.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks guys! I'm going to start doing some research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75

Return to “Poultry Recipes”