Redo of Monterey Chicken

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Redo of Monterey Chicken

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:06 pm

I have posted this before but it was pretty sloppy so I thought I do another one "just because"
Several years ago I bought a Cook Book from the Ladies going door to door for the local "Lions Club". Altho there are many many good recipes in the book, Monterey Chicken is one of my favorites that I use often. Of course I tweeked it to my quantity requirements and Tex Mex taste buds. Their recipe uses chili powder and cumin in addition to what I use plus many more breasts.
Note: large quantities of this recipe can be made ahead of time and kept in the frig until ready to cook the next day.
Ingredients:
1 deboned chicken breast
Salsa, Picante, Pico de Gallo
Bar-boiled Jalapenos
Butter or Margerine
Italian Bread Crumbs
Monterey Jack Cheese
(of course you could use your imagination on fillings)

After deboning one chicken breast then separate into 2 or 3 nice pieces. Pound flat and then add fillings of your choice.
IMG_0012.JPG

Tuck ends and roll into a roll then roll in melted butter.
IMG_0013.JPG

Then roll in dry bread crumbs
IMG_0014.JPG

Spray baking dish with Pam and place the rolled chicken in prepared dish
IMG_0015.JPG

drizzle any remaining butter over breaded rolls
IMG_0016.JPG

add garnish if needed then cover with foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight
IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 25 to 40 minutes until done - - doing one chicken breast usually takes me 30 to 35 minutes. These can be served now or you can add cheese and salsa/pico and return to the oven to melt the cheese. You can also add Sour Cream and Lime Juice if desired. Plate and serve with your desired sides or a simple salad. Today I chose small grapes, cherry maters, blackberries and green own-yawns drizzled with buttermilk ranch dressing.
IMG_0019.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Redo of Monterey Chicken

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm gunna try that recipe. Might use egg instead of butter to roll in.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:18 pm

Good looking Grub Sir :salut:
I will try this within the next couple days, I just purchased a few chicken breast and was looking for something to do with them.

Thanks for sharing.

Ric G.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:39 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:08 am

thanks, Gents, that egg wash don't sound half bad, Russ, I wonder how it will respond to the long frig time and oven cook?

Ric, that first filling pic was the Wiffys and very mild and limited - - - she really didn't want cheese in hers but "what she don't know or control just makes her food better"- - I'm sure you'll load yours up like I did mine and remember to take advantage of the frig time before cooking :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Poultry Recipes”