KFC

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BobbyQ
Pilgrim

KFC

Postby BobbyQ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Col. Sander's Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe
Google: Recipe challenge: Tribune puts the 11 to view an article on the revelation of his famed top secret recipe.

Wife and I tried it. Close to the real stuff but actually better.

The spice/herb volumes is in Tablespoons, not teaspoons. Note 2/3 Tablespoon = 2 teaspoons
We rarely salt our foods so we are sensitive to the salt taste so was a little salty for us. Our next batch contained only 1 tsp salt so was much better. Note the celery SALT and garlic SALT adds plenty SALT.
The celery flavor from the celery salt was somewhat overwhelming so we halved the amount.
OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp MSG (which may have lended the over-salted first batch)
Follow the cooking process PRECISELY. Imperative is allowing the chicken to soak in butter milk at least 20 minutes. When I placed bird into the flour mixture covering all surfaces I pressed the pieces with the palm of my hand and fingers. Be certain to "rest" the bird for at least 20 minutes after shaking off the flour mix.

I prefer deep fat frying which allows even cooking on all surfaces. Stir occassionally. Keep grease temp. at 350 degrees.

I striped all fat and skin off a few pieces to see what. Those pieces retained the desired crispy crust without the fat.

Left over herb/spice flour mix freezes well for the next batch of KFC

Return to “Poultry Recipes”