Skin on or off?

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Skin on or off?

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:36 pm

I watched a programme yesterday about butter milk breaded chicken then deep fried, but I never took notice if the meat was skin on or not? How do you guys do this? I've never used butter milk in my life but I know you guys do it. Any tips as I'm going to try it sometime soon.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Skin on or off?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:39 pm

No trick, Pard, just swap cultured for sweet and continue as norm - - - - I remember reading somewhere that it's illegal to remove the skin from a Clucker in Texas :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I thought that as well, but needed to double check, wouldn't want to muck it up. Thanks oup.

Russ
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 pm

In MS. We soak in buttermilk and double flour ours
That means after the first floor drege and let the piece sit for a little while. It makes the first coat of flour sticky. Dredge again an shallow grease fry. Look up chicken brown on the dot com. How does every one else fry their chicken? Also we use a lid.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:25 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:No trick, Pard, just swap cultured for sweet and continue as norm - - - - I remember reading somewhere that it's illegal to remove the skin from a Clucker in Texas :laughing7: :D :lol:

My PeePaw and MeeMaw had the perfect marriage. Never heard them say a cross word to the other. After his first heart attack she (following doctors orders) removed the skin from his chicken…I had never seen him that mad. I think he threatened divorce :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 pm

JustinCouch wrote:In MS. We soak in buttermilk and double flour ours
That means after the first floor drege and let the piece sit for a little while. It makes the first coat of flour sticky. Dredge again an shallow grease fry. Look up chicken brown on the dot com. How does every one else fry their chicken? Also we use a lid.

Thanks Justin, I'm new to it, so advice taken aboard, especially the lid! :lol:

Russ
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:No trick, Pard, just swap cultured for sweet and continue as norm - - - - I remember reading somewhere that it's illegal to remove the skin from a Clucker in Texas :laughing7: :D :lol:

My PeePaw and MeeMaw had the perfect marriage. Never heard them say a cross word to the other. After his first heart attack she (following doctors orders) removed the skin from his chicken…I had never seen him that mad. I think he threatened divorce :)

Lol, I love the skin, wife won't touch it...........until my beer butt the other day, she said she had to try, then wanted more.

No heart attack history in my family! Crosses fingers. :D

Russ
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:17 am

bsooner75 wrote:

I remember the first time Mama ever brought home boneless, skinless chicken breasts and Pop asking her "What in the he!! is wrong with this chicken??? Don't ever do that again!!"
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:44 am

De skinning a bird in my house will get you dishes, laundry,garbage,car repair,and yardwork duty EVERY time !!
...oh wait...sounds like I do most of them and I LOVE the skin !! The wife however always takes hers off and dangles it it front of me asking ( want the skin ) ?????

She already knows the answer lol.
I quit using hot oil for crisping bird skin a long time ago, I get Perfect Crispy Bite Thru skin from the oil-less turkey fryer ( The big Easy ) every time. The only way you can tell no oil was used is when u look down on ur plate, and ur wrists and notice both are dry !
Have fried thighs tonight actually :):):)

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 am

I fry sheeken like all those great Women in my Life growing up did - - - double dredge (like Justin) except I dredge in milk/buttermilk, then into flour that has been SnP'd, THEN I repeat that process and fry in hot oil. Drain on paper towels, eat and remember to wipe your chin occasionally. :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:51 pm

Never use milk when you can use buttermilk. :tup:

You can cheat, and make your own buttermilk. 1 cup of milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar, stir, let set 5 minutes. :cheers:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Ok, making this tomorrow for family dinner, oups way, butter milk in fridge, pics to follow. With twice fried chips and salad.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 am

Plenty of S & P also, Pard :tup: Good Luck :salut:
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Russ...let us know how it turns out...and post some pic's
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 pm

I was surprised the buttermilk was so thick, like yoghurt, first time I've used this method, thanks oup. Dredged in buttermilk only once as I only got a small amount, 500ml, it disappeared really quick. Then into crumbs I made the other day from left over bread. Wife said it is beautiful, I will wait on grandkids assessment,lol. They are the best critics,lol.
Chips n salad all ready to go. They all be here in 3 hrs.
image.jpg

Can't wait to try these.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Poultry Recipes”