Homemade Chicken and Noodles

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Homemade Chicken and Noodles

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 pm

For those of y'all who remember, my family has homemade chicken and noodles for our Christmas meal. As promised, her is the recipe, at least, what she has of it. As with many family recipes, it's mostly in her head, so all I have is the noodle recipe and a few written notes on ingredients.

First, the noodle recipe. This is also in the Sides section.
----------
Tender Homemade Noodles
from Mom Davis' Cookbook

6 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
2 tbsp cold water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat all ingredients together, except for flour and baking powder. When mixed well, add the flour and baking powder to make a stiff dough. Divide into 5 or 6 balls. Roll each to desired thickness. Fold dough and slice into any width you prefer. Put into freezer bags and freeze. Will keep real well in freezer up to 6 months or longer.
----------

Now, the recipe has a starting point for the actual soup:

Use two whole chickens (6 lbs) plus 1 chicken breast. Can use cut up, but need whole chickens for flavor. Add some canned chicken broth, a couple bouillon cubes, whole stalks of celery and onion when boiling. Cover chicken with water and then add at least another inch of water for broth. Boil chopped carrots separate and add later for color. (In later years, she writes "Do NOT use carrots.")

Use all noodles. Have canned chicken broth ready. thicken broth with flour paste before serving.

I could get no more details out of her. I am including scans of the actual recipe so y'all can see exactly what I saw. Feel free to print for you own files. I think this year I'll try to be there as the stuff is cooking. With a notepad. :wink:

Image Image
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen

Return to “Poultry Recipes”