Brine Brine Brine!

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Brine Brine Brine!

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:40 am

I waited until after the fourth cook before posting this just to make sure of the recipe..
I mix one gallon +2 cups of filtered water with one cup of kosher salt by placing a 4 gallon canning pot in the fridge overnite to chill, then I boil the two cups water add the salt, stirring to dissolve and just before soaking the chicken, add the salted water and stir.
I thaw the whole chicken about halfway or enough to cut in half with large knife and let if finish thawing in the fridge in the cold water pot, soaking for 8 hours.
You want the brine water to be as cold as possible so the colder the thawing bird the better, but in any case don't use warm/ish water, get it cold even if have to drop ice cubes in the pot.
I tried more salt also a longer soak with just one cup of salt but both time the bird was over brined to my taste as I like the wings and they were too salty.
We blend one cup mayo, third cup apple cider vinegar, tablespoon Siracha, i teaspoon worcestershire, pinch salt, some pepper to taste, 1/4 cup fresh thyme.
Chicken is place on a bed of asparagus, sweet potato chunks, red onion chunks, 6 cloves of garlic cut into pieces but not minced.
Coat bird with mayo slurry then re-apply every 20 minutes, total cook time around an hour an twenty minutes depending on the depth of the veg bed.
We've cooked brined chickens using different sauces and no matter what is used it's the most tender and moist bird meat ever.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Brine Brine Brine!

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Thanks for that play by play description. I think, even I, could accomplish that one. However you only get a 9 from me because there isn't any "PIC" :laughing7: :lol: :D Seriously, C.D. I appreciate the sharing of that Brine Recipe. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Poultry Recipes”