Brining enhanced turkeys

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Brining enhanced turkeys

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Since I'm still relatively new to this forum, I'd like to hear some opinions on the subject of whether or not you should brine a turkey that is already "enhanced". Last year this came up on another forum and I saw opinions from both sides (many more against than for), and I also read an article at the time where they compared different birds that were brined, both enhanced and natural, and reported no noticeable difference.

Any opinions on this subject? I just picked up one of the turkeys from Walmart for .40 per pound (just couldn't pass up the price :lol: ) but I really liked the brine I used last year and would like to cook this one the same way. Can't remember whether or not that bird was enhanced.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Brining enhanced turkeys

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Depends on pumped they are. I seen ranges from 3% upto 8%. A fully pumped bird I think I'd personally not brine. But then again, I wouldn't buy one to start with :roll: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Good question... and I don't have an answer as I can't remember ever having brined a previously enhanced bird.

Off the top of my head, since osmosis relies on the salt differential between the brining liquid and the meat of the bird, a turkey that is already factory pumped and salt laden may not be able take on much more additional flavorings from the brine and might possibly become too salty if it does...
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Good points. The bird I bought says it has "up to 8%..." which sounded kind of high to me. Making me think no brine there. I normally try to stay away from anything enhanced, but honestly it's getting harder and harder to do, unless you want to pay a fortune.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:35 pm

It doesn't matter if it's enhanced. After it's been in the brine the in and out flow ( osmosis ) will even out the solution and the bird will be the same as the brine used.
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm with Jim in that the brine will equalize with whatever is in the bird. If it is a 14# bird that means it contains about 18oz of "enhanced" but compared to the 2 gal of brine you will use the end result will favor "brine". I brine no matter what the birds credentials and have been satisfied. Typically I brine for 12 hrs. I usually place butter under the breast skin by injecting warm butter that solidifies quickly on the cold bird.
I do not use a fancy brine I use the same one as for chickens (posted somewhere).
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:38 pm

OSD wrote:It doesn't matter if it's enhanced. After it's been in the brine the in and out flow ( osmosis ) will even out the solution and the bird will be the same as the brine used.

Good point. I was thinking more of the going in part and not the balancing out part...
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 pm

OSD wrote:It doesn't matter if it's enhanced. After it's been in the brine the in and out flow ( osmosis ) will even out the solution and the bird will be the same as the brine used.

That's what I had heard too, which had me wondering. When I got home from work, I went through some of my old notes and found that the bird I brined last year was enhanced and it definitely did not have a flavor that was too salty. In fact, everyone really loved it. I think I'm gonna brine this one too, but I'm gonna check a recipe for herb roasted turkey that my daughter has first before making a final decision.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Return to “Poultry Recipes”