The best chickeen i have ever tasted!

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

The best chickeen i have ever tasted!

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:51 pm

a bold statement i know :D

seriously though, i was given a book written by a famous chef from the uk called Heston Blumenthal. Now i was pretty sceptical about it as he is renound for making some pretty out there food!(his restaurant has won michelin stars but serves stuff like egg and bacon ice cream :shock: !)

however i read the book about his search for perfection in well know recipes like hamburgers, steak, spagetti bolognese, etc one such search was for roast chicken.

here goes
Remove the wingtips from the bird and reserve for later.
Soak the chicken in an 8% brine solution for 6 hours.
Rinse the chicken thoroughly, then soak in clean water for an hour, changing the water every 15 minutes.
Dunk the chicken in boiling water for 30 seconds, then place into iced water. Repeat this step once more.
Leave the chicken overnight in the fridge on a wire cooling rack over a baking tray, covered with a clean dishcloth.
Heat the oven to 60°C, and cook the chicken for 4 – 6 hours until the internal temperature is 60°C throughout. (took my chicken 3 hours so keep an eye!)
Leave the chicken to rest for an hour. Meanwhile fry the wingtips in the butter until the butter turns brown. Strain off and reserve – you can discard the chicken bits.
*Heat a pan as hot as you can and add a little oil. Fry the chicken on all sides until evenly browned. *
Using a needle baster inject the bird with the chicken butter all over – be as generous as possible.

* this is where i thought a BBQ might come in handy- the most difficult part of this recipe is getting the skin crispy, i think it might be better achieved on the BBQ from a high heat for a few minutes

i know reading that you will be thinking that sounds like a lot of effort for a chicken and i would have agreed with you until i had tasted it! sensational stuff!

anyone brave enough? :D

it seems like a pain in the A** i know but i wouldnt take the chance of
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: The best chickeen i have ever tasted!

Postby 3 star redneck » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:17 pm

:roll: Dont know bout all that?.......Think I;ll just keep my recipe :lol: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:20 pm

OK Greg, this is one of those recipes that seem so strange I have to try it!

I'll let you know how it comes out!

Andy
Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:23 pm

NewBQ wrote:OK Greg, this is one of those recipes that seem so strange I have to try it!

Andy

Andy please do sir! i guarantee to you that it will melt in your mouth

here is a girls review of the recipe its written out better than my cut down effort!

http://roastpotato.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... t-chicken/

any problems fire me a message!
Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:24 pm

3 star redneck wrote::roll: Dont know bout all that?.......Think I;ll just keep my recipe :lol: :lol:

i know it sounds crazy, but its awesome! every other piece of chicken iv eaten since making it seems dry in comparison!

you know what they say nothing ventured....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 pm

It may be good, but it's too low of cooking temp ( 140° ), too low of finished meat internal temp ( 140° ), and too long in the danger zone for me.
poultry should be cooked to 160°-165° internal.

I believe I'll stick to brining, injecting butter or flavored mix, and smoking or grilling indirect. I smoke chicken at 350° in a drum and it comes out good.
Jim
RoastPotato
Pilgrim

Postby RoastPotato » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 am

Glasgow Greg wrote:
NewBQ wrote:OK Greg, this is one of those recipes that seem so strange I have to try it!

Andy

here is a girls review of the recipe its written out better than my cut down effort!

http://roastpotato.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... t-chicken/" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm not a girl! But thanks for taking the time to visit my blog.

It'a totally unique way to both prepare and eat chicken. I strongly recommend you give it a go, it's absolutely tremendous.

With regards to safety, the internal temp of 60C will ensure all pathogens in the meat are killed. For belt and braces there's a double-dip boiling before cooking which is again another bacteria killer. If you want an anecdote, I fed this to my 7-month pregnant wife and our new daughter is absolutely fine!
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 am

This looks like one of those recipes to try when I retire.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:37 am

atcNick wrote:This looks like one of those recipes to try when I retire.

I am retired but I think it's a toss up whether to try this here in Texas or run over and mooch off'n Greg........ :mrgreen:
tarde venientibus ossa....
Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 am

RoastPotato wrote:
Glasgow Greg wrote:

Andy

http://roastpotato.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... t-chicken/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm not a girl! But thanks for taking the time to visit my blog.

It'a totally unique way to both prepare and eat chicken. I strongly recommend you give it a go, it's absolutely tremendous.

With regards to safety, the internal temp of 60C will ensure all pathogens in the meat are killed. For belt and braces there's a double-dip boiling before cooking which is again another bacteria killer. If you want an anecdote, I fed this to my 7-month pregnant wife and our new daughter is absolutely fine!

sorry roast potato must have got you confused with another blog i had read about it!

it really is worth the effort, i thought i would share it with the guys on here and see how they got mon with it- using a bbq at 60c possibly provides even more flavour! its definately worth the effort imo!
Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 am

Papa Tom wrote:
atcNick wrote:This looks like one of those recipes to try when I retire.

I am retired but I think it's a toss up whether to try this here in Texas or run over and mooch off'n Greg........ :mrgreen:

not a problem to me! :D

Return to “Poultry Recipes”