Great South Bay Boil...Cajun Style

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wigelnyatt USER_AVATAR
wigelnyatt
Rustler

Great South Bay Boil...Cajun Style

Postby wigelnyatt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 pm

I grew up on the south shore of Long Island in a clamming community. The Great South Bay was known for it’s wealth in it’s waters. Oysters, clams, scallops, mussels, crabs, fish, etc. I am making up a Great South Bay Boil with a Cajun twist. A 22 qt. deep fryer only holds so much, so this is for a small group of friends or family. I got some nice Blue Claw Crab, bay scallops, hard shell clams, Long Island sweet corn, shrimp, small red potatoes, lemons, beer, peppers( 1 red & 1 green), garlic & scallions. You can add mussels, fish and sea scallops too, if that is your preference. Now comes the Cajun twist. I got about 1 lb. of Andouille sausage, and put Louisiana Crab Boil & Cajun seasoning along with some Old Bay into the water.

The way I grew up… we steamed everything in beer. This is too much beer to waste on this size pot, so just pour a beer or two in the water. Save the rest to drink with the meal. Fill up the rest of the pot about half way. You don’t have to have a steamer/deep fryer pot for this. You can use a large stock pot with a basket, a Great Lakes boiler, or even a canning pot. Cut your peppers in half and 2 scallions and add them to the pot. Throw in 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled. Add your seasonings…about 2-3 ounces of crab boil, about a tablespoon of Cajun & Old Bay seasonings…or more depending on how spicy you like it. Cut a lemon in half. Squeeze in the juice and then throw the rinds right in the water. Put your cover on and start the water to a boil. Once it boils, continue boiling for about 15 mins.

Add your sausage, cut in 1-2″ lengths, and your potatoes. Bring it back to a boil. Cook for another 5-10 mins. or until the potatoes start to soften up. Add your Long Island sweet corn broken in thirds. Cook for 5 mins. Add a doz. or more clams (and mussels) cook for 3-5 mins. Now add a pound of shrimp(in the shell or shelled and deveined, your choice), the Blue Claw Crabs, and scallops if you have, and cook for 3 more mins. Drain immediatley. Serve with cold beer, cocktail sauce & drawn butter. Make sure you have lots of napkins.

Return to “Fish and Seafood”