Blackened Tilapia over coals

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Blackened Tilapia over coals

Postby woodenvisions » Fri May 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Finatic wrote:FYI- Old Bay Blackened has a kick! And I like hot stuff.

Thanks for the 411 on that, now I MUST start my quest for some :)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Blackened Tilapia over coals

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I envision a Cajun burner and gas bottle in your future... for frying, blackening, stir-frying, low country boil, crawfish and on and on and.... well you like me will be on your journey to teaching your wife how some of the finer cuisine is supposed to taste... you can gradually introduce her to spice an fore ya know it she will be tellin ya hotter!! those are some great looking fillets...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Yuppers, W V, another thing that the Wiffy gets all over me about is "tweeking something that's already good" :laughing7: :D :lol: I usually operate on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it principle" but then it comes to cooking and recipes, I'm not - - - I did some Granny Crackers for Company a couple days ago and decided to add 2 pkgs of Ranch Dressing Mix instead of just 1 and it was a mistake, However, they are almost gone and my oldest Stepson attacked them like a starving dawg. :laughing7: I also added a tblsp of SB Hootchie Mama and that was a good "tweek" so I'll be doing that again :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 6:47 pm

spacetrucker wrote:I envision a Cajun burner and gas bottle in your future... for frying, blackening, stir-frying, low country boil, crawfish and on and on

thanks, Pal, I was just thinking today about how inconvenient it was to fire up the charcoal to do these so maybe when the Wiffy says "the boys are asking what you want for your Birthday" I will have an answer. :tup: I'm wanting to blacken some jumbo shrimp next :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 20, 2016 6:50 pm

not to hijack your thread, but get ya a 50lb bottle it last for three or four years, and does not have the OFP valve which is a trouble mechanism in my book, the initial cost is high but over the long run its worth the extra money..
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

might take some doing because the Wiffy has a phobia of Propane because of a horrible fire that took everything they had - - - - I'll have to ease into this one ;)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 20, 2016 7:06 pm

sorry to read of that, I can see where it would present a problem, and create a phobia... I have a 50 attached to my Cajun burner, a 30 attached to my pizza cooker, and the gas grill is natural, so suffice it to say the back porch could take out two houses in any direction if the conditions were proper...
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Oh boy, we two had a bad fire a few years back on the deck so we're limited on gas use although the grill caught fire because I missed cleaning a channel on the bottom of the grill where some grease built up and before I knew it, we had a fireball with a grill somewhere in the middle of it. It sucked because I couldn't initially get to the shut off valve to kill the source.
Eventually I got the tank unhooked and after a bit the fire finally went out.

So now, all we use gas for is the Big Easy

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Finatic wrote:FYI- Old Bay Blackened has a kick! And I like hot stuff.

Finally found some Old Bay Blackening Seasoning in a WalMart in Palestine yesterday and fixed some filets "in the house" today. Didn't set off any smoke alarms but I found that I prefer the Zatarains Big Zesty Blackened Spice better BUT with the addition of Slap-Yo-Mama. Old Bay was not "bad" by any sense of the word and I will use it on dishes in the future but my taster leans towards da Big Z. :chef:

Return to “Fish and Seafood”