Blackened Tilapia over coals

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Blackened Tilapia over coals

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Next time I'll learn to keep my mouth shut :roll: Been craving some blackened fish lately so yesterday I chuncked two Tilapia filets in the frig to defrost with plans to blacken one and fry the other because "The Wiffy doesn't like blackened fish" (remember that quote, OK?) As always I got up early and fixed my breakfast and the Wiffy slept late. About an hour before I planned on doing my blackened fish she got up and I fixed her breakfast but I saved one filet to fry for her later if she got hungry. (great plan, eh?) Anyhow she downed her bacon, eggs and toast and about an hour later I started my lunch cook. Yum yum can't wait :chef:

Dug out Grandpa Ratcliff's old flat cast iron skillet, seasoned it real quickly and then fired up the Kingsford. The only reason I decided to cook over charcoal was because of the smoke that blackening creates and sets off the smoke alarm. :whiteflag: Dredged "MY" filet in butter and seasoned with Zatarains Blackening spice and Slap Yo Mama. Fixed a dipping sauce from catsup, horseradish and SB Texas Heat and steamed some Asian stir fry veggies. Put the flat iron over the coals and started my cook.

The filet turned out real good and turned over without falling all to pieces woo hoo. Plated it and came inside to EAT. The Wiffy commented on how good it smelled and as I headed to my recliner to partake she ?innocently said? "My I have a taste? It's probably too hot for me but I'd like to taste it." I pinched off a very small portion of the crispy tail part and she ate it. "That is really good, can I have the small half of that?" Gave her half of my beautiful creation and all the time she kept saying "It's a little hot for me" but she cleaned her plate and I might not even have to wash it.

OK, it was good and I was still hungry so I dashed out and stoked up the coals, put the flat iron over them and grab the fillet from the icebox that was ?supposed? to be hers later. Dredged and seasoned and threw them on the skillet. Ate all of that and I am now full. :tup:
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Blackened Tilapia over coals

Postby Finatic » Tue May 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Looks good OUP! :salut: Love me some blackened Tilapia or pretty much any fish blackened.

Sounds like she may be coming around!? :lol:
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue May 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Im thinking fish tacos now.. :scratch: 8) :D
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue May 17, 2016 7:41 pm

I've never eaten Tilapia. Had blackened redfish down in NOLA.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 17, 2016 7:55 pm

I've been getting the locally raised and it is firm and not oily as some of the first imported stuff was - - - tastes like chicken :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Excellent story and some mightyfine fishies. Methinks you have a new convert. Bet if you leave out the Slap yo Mama on your bride's fish, it won't be quite as hot and she will turn in the driveway on two wheels for a filet - just maybe.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 18, 2016 6:31 am

thanks, Gents - - good plan, EH, that will be the plan next time - - - she's very old skool and doesn't venture into different seasonings and techniques but maybe I've chipped down the barrier some. I do all the cooking and love to cook for her so that would be a win win :cheers:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu May 19, 2016 6:12 am

Sure sound's and look's good. :cheers: :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Had company for two days and didn't get to do much cooking - - - - they were eat out type company so I just followed along - - - However, today I put two filets on the grill - - - after splitting them long ways, the Wiffy only wanted one so I did hers like EH suggestted with "only" Zatarains Blackening - - - Of course my "3" were loaded with that and lotza SYMama - - - may end up eating a Blackened Tilapia Taco for supper from the one left over. :tup:
IMG_0001.JPG
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri May 20, 2016 1:32 pm

I agree with EH..
You might wanna try some Old Bay for mommas portion, I'm in the same boat, mommas not a fan of spicy so now that she can have Old Bay I make sure I have some of the blue/yellow canned spice around.
Btw, Old Bay has a ( blackened ) version of spice but I haven't tried it yet. Must put on shopping list now
:) :) :)

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 2:29 pm

I think I have some Old Bay in the cabinet - - - today she said hers was the best fish I had ever fixed for her so Zatarains must be working - - - however, I'm gonna look for the Old Bay Blackening ?if I can remember it? :laughing7:
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri May 20, 2016 3:34 pm

FYI- Old Bay Blackened has a kick! And I like hot stuff.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 pm

One of my weaknesses is new spicier spices so "I GOTTA TRY IT" :tup: :chef:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Waste not Want not or even better Waist not Want but got :dont:

IMG_0002.JPG
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Blackened Tilapia over coals

Postby woodenvisions » Fri May 20, 2016 6:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:One of my weaknesses is new spicier spices so "I GOTTA TRY IT" :tup: :chef:

I'm with you O.U.P

I can't resist trying another spice, it drives the wifey nuts lol. She's always saying...we have a cabinet full of spices and I say yeah... I know we do, but we don't have this one...

I usually win that battle so after that, I don't push my luck. :)

Also, aparently Old Bay has a whole line of spices and rubs which I didn't know about so I'm gonna have to start ( sampling ) them lol...

Wish me luck guys...and good health haha

Return to “Fish and Seafood”