Paua patties aka abalone patties

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Paua patties aka abalone patties

Postby Russ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Any of you foodies like the above, we call them Paula down here. I make patties out of them and fry in a pan. Sorry no pics but prolly some on the net!
Wondered if anyone's tried them, they are beautiful.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Paua patties aka abalone patties

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Russ wrote:Any of you foodies like the above, we call them Paula down here. I make patties out of them and fry in a pan. Sorry no pics but prolly some on the net!
Wondered if anyone's tried them, they are beautiful.

Russ

Haven't had the pleasure of trying Abalone Patties, but I do work with the ( shell ) pretty often in our jewelry business at home !
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Paua patties aka abalone patties

Postby Russ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:50 pm

Awesome shell eh?. They are quite easy to get here about 3 hrs away in kaikoura which in Maori basically Kai is food Koura from the sea. My son and his friend go out waist deep and get them. My freezer normally has a dozen or so in it, but last gathering here depleted my stocks.

Found a pic

image.jpg
image.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 6264 times

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Paua patties aka abalone patties

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Russ wrote:Awesome shell eh?. They are quite easy to get here about 3 hrs away in kaikoura which in Maori basically Kai is food Koura from the sea. My son and his friend go out waist deep and get them. My freezer normally has a dozen or so in it, but last gathering here depleted my stocks.

Found a pic

image.jpg

Russ

Russ, yeah they have beautiful colored shells. Unfortunately, there is a large problem with ( poaching ) these in different waters and countries.
I've read about people getting prison time for ( illegally ) obtaining these with out the permit which is a pretty crappy thing to do.
We work with wood, stones and shells in our business. All need to be purchased from a licensed supplier with permits and proof of ( repurposed ) materials and sometimes Abalone Shell is very scarce. I've never talked to anybody that has actually eaten them so your post caught my eye.
I'm assuming they are like a big clam ???

Here are some pics of one of our Abalone inlayed rings. Image
ImageImage
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:58 am

Amazing rings and craftwork. Hard to explain the flavour of paua compared to what you guys eat. Anyone that's tried my patties love them. The meat is black and also white, so I mince mine up with a few things. Don't look attractive but they're good. You have to try to get the taste. Here if you are caught illegally they will take your car and boat off you. You only allowed a snorkel and flippers to harvest them . I think from memory the daily limit is 6 per person.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Paua patties aka abalone patties

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:44 am

Russ wrote:Amazing rings and craftwork. Hard to explain the flavour of paua compared to what you guys eat. Anyone that's tried my patties love them. The meat is black and also white, so I mince mine up with a few things. Don't look attractive but they're good. You have to try to get the taste. Here if you are caught illegally they will take your car and boat off you. You only allowed a snorkel and flippers to harvest them . I think from memory the daily limit is 6 per person.

Russ

Thx Russ, we appreciate that !
Ummm...so they take your car ? Lol.

I will have to look into trying these if I can find them here on the East Coast. I'm guessing I will have better luck in the northern States where the water is colder. Next visit to Maine I'll ask around.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:41 am

Russ wrote:
image.jpg

Russ

Yo Pard, do you chop them up before making the patty or do you just bread them and cook whole?
I do a similar thing with can Salmon that we call Salmon Patties - - - salmon, crackers, egg, own-yawns and seasoning. Shape into patties, put in dry mix then fry in Canola.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:47 am

I mince them in my electric mincer,
3 paua shucked and gutted and minced
1 med onion finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
Pepper
1 large egg
Mix and make fritters/patties fry. Steve with lemon wedges

Yummy
Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Fish and Seafood”