Salmon fry

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Salmon fry

Postby bondobill » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Start with a fillet of fresh Salmon if available. Fresh works best.
image.jpeg

Slice the fillet starting at the tail at a 45 degree angle about a quarter to 3/8" thick strips and removing the meat from the skin

A simple soak in beer and egg

Breader of your choice in a gallon zip lock bag . Throw strips in bag of breader and shake till strips are coated.

Add about a inch of oil to a deep cast iron skillet. I use canola oil.

Fry fish in 350 degree oil for about 2 minutes or less . you can check if done by gently pulling out a a piece and splitting. If not pink in center it be done.

Do not and I repeat do not over cook
Salmon drys out in a hurry if over cooked

If done right Salmon makes for a awesome fish fry

:cheers:
Bill
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Re: Salmon fry

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Never ever heard of frying salmon. Not knocking it, just never heard of it. If you say it's nice bill, I'd give it a go.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 am

I'm not a big salmon fan but that looks good. :cheers: :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:29 am

I'm like Willie and have never been big on Salmon but, as he said, those really look good :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I'm like Willie and have never been big on Salmon but, as he said, those really look good :tup: :salut:

Soak them in butter milk and some Louisiana hot sauce for a few hours, then roll them in New Orleans Style Fish Fry and that just might work. ;) ;)

All kidding aside, those do look dang good. :salut: :salut:

bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 am

Yup willie ...I use butter milk once in awhile just to change it up. Also have tried the New Orleans fish fry. Think I got a old bag still in the pantry.
My go to breader is a Cajun seafood breader.good stuff.
Yea Russ not many folk heard of fried Salmon. On our fishing trip last weekend I fried up a 10 lb Salmon we had caught that afternoon. Had about 8 VuIchers that had never had it before. I couldn't fry it fast enough :shock: Crazy buggers where eating it as soon as it came out of the hot oil. Needless to say after the fish fry not much Lasagna got ate :lol:

I'll usually fry some up for apps when I have friends over for a BBQ. It's always a huge hit

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am

My biggest requirement for a dry dredge for fish is plenty of CORN flour and only a little regular flour - - - then, of course, all the East of the Sabine Spices you can handle mixed in.

Wild Bill, the "only" time I cook Salmon of any kind is the canned variety which I turn into fritters with egg, cracker crumbs, own-yawns, seasoning and fry. HOWEVER, I think that may change after seeing this thread. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
BellaHamilton
Pilgrim

Postby BellaHamilton » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:06 am

Thank you for sharing your receipt!
I have never tried to fry the salmon before, but after reading your recommendations will cook it.

Moreover, recently I have read the article about the advantages of eating seafood and now I'm trying to eat it more regularly. That's why I'm seeking for new receipts.

Thank you again!
alex_crowd
Pilgrim

Postby alex_crowd » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 am

Very good recipe. The best salmon I've tasted.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 am

alex_crowd wrote:Very good recipe. The best salmon I've tasted.

The Source was The Best
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:23 am

Rambo wrote:
alex_crowd wrote:Very good recipe. The best salmon I've tasted.

The Source was The Best

:tup: :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:07 am

Vanessaa wrote:What sauce would you add to this fish? I just like the barberque sauce, it turns out very tasty)

Hey Vanessaa, Welcome to the Forum :texas: :salut:
As far as a Sauce to use on this goes, I prefer a homemade version of what folks down here call "Cocktail Sauce". You can vary the Ratio to your own taste but I like a 50/50 mix of Catsup and Horeseradish Sauce (some heat here). I pretty much use this sauce on all Fish and Shellfish and have for years. :wav:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:03 am

I miss Bill

Return to “Fish and Seafood”