Mt. Everest Scallops

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Mt. Everest Scallops

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:58 pm

OK, so I didn’t have to climb anything to actually cook these. But it did involve climbing a learning curve, as I was finally able to deploy my new Himalayan salt block, inspired by the leadership of Egghead over the last several years in this arena. My one piece of advice for others to follow would be, you do not require as much salt in your seasoning because of what the block imparts on its own. Simple marinade of a little sake, a little white wine, lemon pepper, melted butter, and crushed garlic, and plop them in to steep for an hour while the Traeger gradually heats up the block. Then lay them on the block and sear both sides for a total of 15 to 20 minutes. The one shortcoming of the Traeger is it doesn’t get quite hot enough to make the block hot enough to sear well. Mine needs cleaning and so redlines about 315; I think about 400 would be optimal.

Then pan seared fresh yellow, zookinky, and white Pac-Man squash in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, then added on thin sliced home grown taters previously sauntered in butter garlic and onions til crisp; then doused w parmesan and baked for 15 at 300.

Eased it down with Hawaiian beer. It was food, and I didn’t have to climb the mountain to get it.
Attachments
CF730DD4-468D-4AA5-92ED-80DE803A722D.jpeg
170CF3E7-C7F5-4C82-9C6E-8389E0C31F78.jpeg
57EE9F8D-E08D-485B-A268-D3DA07349B9A.jpeg
288F72E3-62BD-410E-A4B6-87BB5CDFCCDC.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Mt. Everest Scallops

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Which Traeger?
Model T's should be able to hit 400°F the only exception I know of is the Little Tex that had a baffle that limited pellet feed but even that can be cut out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Mt. Everest Scallops

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:48 pm

The Traeger Texas.

I think it's mainly a function of getting down in there and cleaning the cup and ignitor which I haven't done in about a year, my bad, plus I sometimes buy the cheapee pellets. I can usually get about 20 degrees higher out of the Traeger pellets themselves. But notwithstanding, it never hit 400 since Day One... when new I could get about 370 or 375 out of it. But it works just fine for steaks and other non-comp stuff where I just want to sit around and drink a beer and not overthink things. For the life and death situations, it's all about Rosebud the Giant Killer, my old shop built stickburner.

The Traeger reminds me of an old stock Volkswagen, just fine for Point A to Point B if you had some time, but the only way it was ever going to hit a hundred was if you were to shove it out of the back of a C-130.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Fish and Seafood”