grilled or smoked catfish

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pup
Pilgrim

grilled or smoked catfish

Postby pup » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:06 pm

i was asked at work if anyone had cooked catfish on the grill or in a smoker ? and if so was it good and how did you cook it?
thanks and god bless
I JUS WUV BAR B Q
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:57 am

I have never had catfish any way but fried that I remember. Speakin of, where is Catfishd, he could probably tell ya.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:09 am

I've had it baked, broiled, and fried but never grilled or smoked. I would guess you could. :dont: If you were going to grill it or smoke it, you might need to get one of those metal grill plates ( the one with all the holes in it for veggies and such ) to keep it from falling through the grate or a basket or maybe do them on cedar planks. :D I would think it would be good grilled. :D :D
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 am

pup, Im with Jim, its so flaky - you may need a holder to keep it together. Also, check out my blackend recipe, it would be good on catfish.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
pup
Pilgrim

Postby pup » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 am

thanks for the info iwill try the blackened and the grill basket
good grilling god bless
I JUS WUV BAR B Q
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 am

Take and post pictures and results!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:55 am

Way back when I was young I had it, from what I can remember, cold smoked. It was down in Harlingen, Tx and I remember they dug the fire pit on one side and ran a pipe through a small ditch about 4' away. Like I said this has been a long time back so measurements aren't exact. But I do remember them bringing it to the table in foil and it falling off the bone and the taste was unreal. Not sure if they heated it up more on the grill or what happened at the end of the cook. But this may give you some ideas. I was just thinking of this the other day.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm

I have brined my catfish filets, and put them on the smoker. We have eaten them cold and hot - my friends all liked them, after they had a few beers to work up the courage to try it. No problem after that.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm doing some catfish tonight on the grill in a "grill basket", I will try to get some pics thru the who process. I did some tilapia on the grill the other day in a grill basket and it was AWESOME, and to top it off, Lisa loved it too.

For dinner tonight she picked up some of the new Bush's Steakhouse beans and a salad. Looking forward to dinner tonight...... :wink:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
Puck
Pilgrim

Postby Puck » Tue May 06, 2008 8:15 am

Ive grilled and smoked catfish. I had rather use the grill instead of firing up the smoker since it dosent take long to cook. We use whole catfish.

On the grill, I use Hickory Chips. On the Smoker I use Hickory Chunks and no water in the pan.

I fashon a pan from tin foil, by using a deep metal pan (like you would cook brownies in) by putting the foil inside, and forming it to the pan. We started doing this because we didnt have a pan that would fit in the Mr. Meat smoker. The foil will bend and fit in the smoker very easy.

With foil in the pan. Lay what ever amout (or what ever it will hold) of catfish on their side. Put a thin pat of butter every inch and a half or so the length of each fish. I dont use much salt, so I sprinkle on the black pepper. Give several splashes of Liquid Smoke, Chipotle Tabasco or Garlic Tabasco works well also. Head to the grill. Carfully remove foil liner with fish out of pan and place on a low-med heat grill. Close lid and cook till it flakes.

We cook large salmon fillets on the grill the same way, but wrap the foil up around the sides leaving the top open about an inch or two.

*i may head to Albertson's for some catfish today*
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Mon May 12, 2008 10:20 am

I did some catfish (fillets) and trout (fillets) this weekend. I just rubbed them down with Hog Waller (I wanted the sweetness of the rub) and threw them in the smoker at around 225-240 degrees for about 2 hours (hickory chunks). Just threw them on the grate. They came out super juicy and smoky! I was told that catfish is not a good fish to smoke because of the oils, but I thought that it turned out fantastic! In fact, it turned out better than the trout I smoked along with it.

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Tue May 13, 2008 7:08 am

Best catfish I ever had was this big 'ol bluecat. It had to be close to a 45 lber it barely fit in the 55 gl drum smoker/grill my stepdad had. All we did was gut it and cut gills out and then put seasonings and what not in the cavity. We left the skin on and by the time it was finished cooking the skin was just peeling away from the meat and talk about good.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue May 13, 2008 7:51 am

We do blackened fish a lot, catfish being one kind we do. I find it very tasty. CF :)
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

Return to “Fish and Seafood”