Tortilla Chips

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Tortilla Chips

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, the other night I ran out of chips for salsa and didnt feel like going to the store. I got to rootin around in the kitchen and found a huge package of corn tortillas.

I preheated the oven to 400°, brushed the tortillas lightly with cooking oil on both sides, cut them into quarters and baked for 5 mins each side. I did notice they need to cool for 30 mins or more or they wont be as crunchy as they should be.

This actually turned out pretty good! Turned out really good on nachos because they are thicker than chips from the bag.

Guess that I will be buying several packages of corn tortillas at Sams when I go...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Tortilla Chips

Postby BluDawg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 pm

It never occurred to me to bake them. I mix a 1 tsp of salt with the zest of 3-4 limes in the baby food processor and make a lime salt. Put the juice in a small pump spray bottle and spray down 1 side of the tortillas re-stack them and cut into 1/4 s. place a cup and a half of LARD in the bottom of the cast iron skillet heat to 325 deg. and fry them till they float season with the lime salt while hot allow to cool and MMMmmmmm dip away.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:46 pm

I've always fried em, a little salt and lemmon pepper. I like mine a little brown! 8) 8)
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Yep, they're very good baked. They also store very well for later use. I posted this video about making baked chips and tostada shells a while back......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8562

I think kenny13 posted a a thread and recipe for frying chips and garnish pieces in the Outpost.
Jim
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 am

I do a similar thing. I cut my stacks of corn tortillas in fourths with a pizza wheel. I then spray a sheet pan with cooking spray, lay out the chips in a single layer, and spray the tops of them too. Into the oven set on low broiler on the middle rack for 4 minutes, and they come out perfectly. When they come out, you can dust them with salt, chili powder or whatever you like - much fresher and cheaper than buying bagged chips!

I used to fry them, but these are as tasty without all the extra oil calories.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)

Return to “Sides and Such”