OUP's Ornery Okry

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

OUP's Ornery Okry

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:00 am

I have an internet friend that lives in Minnesota and I am always turning him onto Southern Foods and stuff. Well, last year he was asking me about a vegetable that "we" ate down here below the Mason Dixon and I finally found out he was talking about Okra. I sent him my favorite fried recipe and then had some Talk O Texas pickled Okra sent to him. He liked it but said "it's not hot by any stretch of the imagination" but he has to hide it from their good Neighbor's 8 yr old daughter cause SHE LOVES IT. She also like the boiled Crawfish that I shipped him - - especially the dissecting part :laughing7: :D :lol: OK, I'm rambling so I'll get to the point.

It looks like I may get to meet he and his wife in March if they make the trip through the Gulf Coast as planned - - soooooo - - - - I pickled him some HOT TEXAS OKRA this morning. Five of the jars have Habeneros, Serranos, Jalapenos and a few pods of Okra in them. :angryfire:

I've put up jellies, relishes and mincemeat but never Okra so my fingers are crossed. They have to sit for 6 weeks according to my friend Mz Carol's instructions - - - got new smoke alarm so we should be covered. :laughing7: :D :lol:

I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: OUP's Ornery Okry

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:23 pm

One habanero per pint is plenty to make hot pickled okra. It is 40 times hotter than a jalapeno.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Good - - this guy brags about his Salsa made from Ghost, Habeneros, Jalapenos and Serranos so we'll see what he thinks about this concoction - - - I sure ain't gonna eat none of them :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bdskelly USER_AVATAR
BDSkelly
Wrangler

Postby BDSkelly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Looks great Okie. I've always wanted to pickle okra. This is a real inspiration.
B
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:40 am

Thought I'd update Y'all on my Minnesota Friend and the "Hot Pickled Okra" I sent back home with them after their visit the first of this month. His comment was "Yes, it's hot but it's good and I like it :!: " So mission accomplished, I guess.

Return to “Sides and Such”