salsa

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

salsa

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 am

I would love to get some salsa recipes. Store bought salsa sucks. also looking for green salsa with avocados in it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: salsa

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:40 am

For me Justin there's two kinds of Salsa - - - the kind I dip chips into and snack AND the kind that I cook with - - - - - Here's a very quick and easy snack type that my Hispanic Secretary and dear Friend taught me how to do.

One large can of Pettite chopped canned tomatoes "DRAINED"
Par-Boil 2 or 3 large jalapenos, remove seeds and veins (Roasted are even better if you have time)
Cut 2 or 3 sweet/Vadalia own-yawns in quarters
Put jalapenos and own-yawns in the blender and "pulse" chop to desired size
Then add the "drained" canned tomatoes. (you can pulse the blender a couple of times after everything is in but don't over chop)
Dump into a large bowl and eat or chill until ready to eat.

(Footnote: you can add some sugar if you want to. Wiffy likes sugar but I don't so I add sugar most times. :laughing7: :D :lol:

Back to your post for a second: I have not had any success with Tomatillo Sauce but I do like HEB Brand Hot Salsa which Y'all probably don't have in South Miss. :dont:
IMG_0008.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Have made salsa several times but I just wing it without a recipe. Put some smoke on your veggies for a smokey salsa. For a salsa verde, use tomatillos. Experimented with kale in one batch - no mas kale por favor.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:06 pm

:bow: :bow: :bow: :wav:

EGG, one time I heard someone say, "just use Kale, it's the same as Cilantro" so your comment brought back a memory smile :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Yo Justin, I am pretty Lazy when it comes to dipping Salsa but I did want to mention that ?if? you roast or use fresh Maters then remove the skin before chopping - - - when I first started I used Stewed Whole Maters and they worked very well but you have to be carefull not to puree them or any Mater when you're using the blender or food processor. Here are the ones I have "evolved" to. Good Luck :tup:
IMG_0008.JPG
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:01 pm

For the avocado salsa, all we do is toss the avo in the blender, a touch of garlic and salt, jalapeños to your heat pref, and blend till smooth adding water just till it will start moving around the blender. I also like to grill the japs a bit if I get the chance.

And as shown above, grill all your salsa veggies for a smoky flavor. Japs, onions, tomatoes, garlic, tomatillos...

Mike "Dodis"
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:01 pm

What Egghead says +1. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “Sides and Such”