Twice baked spuds on the smoker

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Twice baked spuds on the smoker

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:05 pm

These things are pretty easy, and to be sure my recipe isn't written in stone.

First bake a potato ( a russet, not those thin skin white spuds). I poke 'em with a fork, and rub 'em with oil. Somefolks foil 'em, I don't. You can bake in the oven or the smoker. I cheat and nuke 'em on the "baked potato" setting on the microwave.

Allow to cool for a few minutes (so as not to burn yourself from steam), then slice the top of the spud off. Using a dinner spoon carefully "dig" out the "meat" putting it in a bowl. Try not to rip the skin. When done, you should have something that looks like a canoe.

From there I add a tablespoon of butter per spud to the bowl and mash with a fork, adding a little milk (or better yet cream) while mashing until you get something that looks like thick mashed spuds.

Now it's time to use some imagination. I usually add little chunks of chedder cheese, chives, salt, pepper. Sometimes I add crumpled bacon or diced spam. Note that white cheeses taste good in these things, but they don't help the color (presentation).

Using a kitchen spoon, stuff each of the "canoe(s)" with the filling. Again, don't overstuff or the canoe will burst. Since more stuff is going in than came out, the filling should rise above the top of the skin. Sprinkle with paprika (or not) and put on the smoker for 1 to 2 hours until cheese melts and top browns.

Don't worry about overbaking 'em, they are pretty forgiving.

There have to be a thousand variations on this, so experiment a bit. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks a lot! I have the recipe copied and safely stored in my recipe folder. Going to try them first chance I get.
Stan41
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Sounds like something good to try.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Don't feel bad; I nuke baked taters all the time. I nuke them to 'not quite done' to slice into my baked potatoe wedges. I honestly can't taste any difference in eating a nuked baked potatoe as to grilled or baked, except that grilling them is more fun!
Your recipe sounds great!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Twice baked spuds on the smoker

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:28 pm

These were the first potatoes I cooked on the grill. Kids love 'em, and adults do, too. Thanks for reminding me, Dave!

DATsBBQ wrote:Allow to cool for a few minutes (so as not to burn yourself from steam), then slice the top of the spud off. Using a dinner spoon carefully "dig" out the "meat" putting it in a bowl. Try not to rip the skin. When done, you should have something that looks like a canoe.

What I do is usually cut the spuds in half. It's a little easier to scoop the "meat" out that way, plus it's easier to refill.

From there, I mix the "meat" with butter, milk, sour cream, bacon bits, chives, salt, and pepper to taste. Fill the skins, mounding the filling up a bit. Garnish with grated cheese, bacon bits, and a little paprika. Cook until heated through and the cheese melts. The halves make it easy to portion out.

:banghead: Now I'm all hungry for these, but I'm working all weekend. Grrr! Guess I'll have to add these to the menu for next week, if possible.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 pm

copkid wrote:Don't feel bad; I nuke baked taters all the time. I nuke them to 'not quite done' to slice into my baked potatoe wedges. I honestly can't taste any difference in eating a nuked baked potatoe as to grilled or baked, except that grilling them is more fun!
Your recipe sounds great!

We normally nuke em. Wash em, poke some holes in em with a fork, roll in melted butter, sprinkle some salt on em then nuke em till done.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:09 pm

As for me, I don't like nuked taters.. .seems to make 'em gummy... I like to bake 'em in the oven, on the grill or in the smoker... If I do 'em in the smoker, I will usually wrap in foil though...

When they are done, nothing but course salt, fresh cracked black pepper and some real cow butter...

James.

Return to “Sides and Such”