'Busted Pinto Beans

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:21 am

ain't no fun with the tater. :( Image
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Got a crock pot full of Busted Pintos sans tator (couldn't find one and the Mrs just now went to the store so they've been on for 3hrs.

The Mrs laughed when she saw I was making beans. Like I've said before, never had much luck with beans. Last attempt was a couple of years ago when I tried to make BBQ Beans. Soaked overnight, baked for 2 days and the things still weren't tender. Been told it was the water. Good to make beer with (ask Joe Coors) but not good for beans.

Anyway, they soaked overnight and nearly tripled in size. Never seen anything like it. Mrs thinks I might be on to something here, so I left out the heat cause she likes Jalps but they don't like her.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:58 pm

when I followed Gators advice I ended up with 'soupy' beans. The meat was fallin off the ham hock....if you don't want 'em soupy just strain it off but like Gator said, good to soak up with cornbread. I'm sure they'll come out fine.

Baked beans are easy to doctor up. No need to stress yourself makin your own. Get some good Bush's beans, brisket, maybe some of your favorite thick KC style Q sauce, brown sugar etc etc etc......I think I posted some authentic Jack Stack baked beans in the recipe section. They turn out awesome! It's the only way I make 'em.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:14 pm

Another way to thicken up beans is to take about 1/4 of them and mash them real good with a potato masher then add them back in. :D Or alittle flour or cornstarch dissolved in cold water and added in will help thicken the juice. :D
Jim
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:10 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:when I followed Gators advice I ended up with 'soupy' beans. The meat was fallin off the ham hock....if you don't want 'em soupy just strain it off but like Gator said, good to soak up with cornbread. I'm sure they'll come out fine.

Baked beans are easy to doctor up. No need to stress yourself makin your own. Get some good Bush's beans, brisket, maybe some of your favorite thick KC style Q sauce, brown sugar etc etc etc......I think I posted some authentic Jack Stack baked beans in the recipe section. They turn out awesome! It's the only way I make 'em.

Now that's the way I do 'em!!

Don't forget the tater :wink:
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:19 am

I just can't figure out why in the heck anyone would want to take the farts outta the beans?

Just ain't no fun with the farts out. Can't go to the mall or grocery store and drop bombs on the strangers or fluff up the covers come bed time Image and get the crap knocked outta ya!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:28 am

Agree Chuck :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:58 pm

Made another batch up. Stuck a can of Jalps in. Whole crock pot just for me :lol: as the Mrs won't eat 'em. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Dats - how did the busted beans work fer ya?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:19 pm

They're on the hit parade with me. :D
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:47 am

Made a double batch of these with the new crockpot (it has warm mode) for the party today. Subbed my FlatLander Rub for the SuckleBusters (all out :( ) and used some brisket point instead of the ham hock. Also, used chicken broth instead of water. But I did use the tators! Good stuff indeed.
Deputy Dave

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Made up my very first batch of homemade ham and beans with our leftover smoked ham :D

I used 1 TBSP of the Gold Dust and 1 of the new Chili powder...no potatoes.
I can see me doing this again real soon!

I do have a question, I seen somewhere that this years beans do not need an overnight soak...just 3-4 hours, if any.

How are ya supposed to know :dont: (I did mine overnight)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:44 pm

bowhnter wrote:Made up my very first batch of homemade ham and beans with our leftover smoked ham :D

I used 1 TBSP of the Gold Dust and 1 of the new Chili powder...no potatoes.
I can see me doing this again real soon!

I do have a question, I seen somewhere that this years beans do not need an overnight soak...just 3-4 hours, if any.

How are ya supposed to know :dont: (I did mine overnight)

Huh, I havent heard that one, thanks for the heads up. I always soak overnight too...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:19 pm

I think its like this, if you don't soak overnite, bring to a boil then let set for 3 to 4 hours. I like the overnight soak better.
Deputy Dave

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:32 pm

It was pretty specific, about this year's beans not needing the full soak. :?
Of course I have never done it before anyway, so have only heard of saoking overnight.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “Sides and Such”