For Pepperheads that make their own Ice Cream

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bauer8it USER_AVATAR
Bauer8It
Wrangler

For Pepperheads that make their own Ice Cream

Postby Bauer8It » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 am

A few years ago, a friend gave me an Ice Cream maker along with a recipe book. After making a few sample batches of your basic chocolate and vanilla, I decided to branch out and try something different. At first glance, this recipe sounds a bit "OFF", but let me assure you that this is addictive. This is my new favorite flavor of Ice Cream.

It's called Red Pepper Butter Pecan Praline Crunch. It gives you the sweet and spicy combo that we all love! Here is the recipe.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream:
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup half and half
2 cups light cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups pecon halves

Put the eggs in a medium bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Heat until the butter begins to turn golden brown and smells mildly of nuts. Add the brown sugar, stirring until it melts. Stir in the half and half and bring to a simmer. Slowly add the egg mixture to the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream, vanilla, and almond extract. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.

Red Pepper Flake Praline Crunch:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup pean halves
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (I always double or triple this)

*****BECAUSE THE FUMES FROM THE RED PEPPERS CAN CAUSE YOUR EYES AND NOSE TO BURN, WORK IN A WELL-VENTILATED KITCHEN****

Combine the sugar and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until the sugar turns light amber. Immediately remove from the heat and stir in the pecans and red pepper flakes. The hot sugar will release the red pepper oils, so be very careful to keep your face away from the pan. Stir vigorously to coat each nut, then turn out onto a marble slab or greased nonstick cookie sheet. Spread the nuts using 2 greased wooden spoons or spatulas, separating the nuts as much as possible. When completely cool, use a heavy knife to chop the nuts into 1/4 inch pieces.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions, adding the pecans to the machine when the ice cream is semi-frozen. Allow the machine to mix in the nuts. When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Bauer8It on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mini WSM and 22.5 WSM
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Re: For Pepperheads that make their own Ice Cream

Postby tex_toby » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

If you could make up a couple of gallons for sampling, I'll have Mrs Tex stop by on her way home from work one night and pick them up and I'll report back. THAT is the kind of good buddy I am! :P :lol:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
bauer8it USER_AVATAR
Bauer8It
Wrangler

Postby Bauer8It » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm

TT,

I'll tell you what. I'll make some this weekend and she can come by Monday to pick it up. And for that, all I ask is that next time we get together, you show me how to weave a FATTIE and make MOINK balls.

Don't blame me for the addiction that will follow.

Deal???
Mini WSM and 22.5 WSM
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Did I miss something? When to add the eggs?
tarde venientibus ossa....
bauer8it USER_AVATAR
Bauer8It
Wrangler

Postby Bauer8It » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Sorry about that. I have edited it.

:oops:
Mini WSM and 22.5 WSM
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Bauer8It wrote:TT,

I'll tell you what. I'll make some this weekend and she can come by Monday to pick it up. And for that, all I ask is that next time we get together, you show me how to weave a FATTIE and make MOINK balls.

Don't blame me for the addiction that will follow.

Deal???

I was just giving you a hard time, Bauer. Krista has been going crazy the past few weeks moving doctors offices and getting home about 9PM every night. If I ask her to make an extra stop before she comes home, she might shoot me! :flamer: :lol: Maybe the next time we get together you can bring some. As for the bacon weave, I'll make up some sort of video or picture instructions. The moink balls are nothing more than meatballs wrapped in bacon and indirect grilled and basted with sauce. :wink:

tex :texas:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
snow bunny USER_AVATAR
Snow Bunny
Cowboy

Postby Snow Bunny » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:57 pm

That recipe sounds great Bauer, Just to give you a heads up i have entered the BBQ Comp at the Germanfest in Muenster the last weekend in April if You or Tex are interested in coming, Let me know if you want me to order either of you a t-shirt for the comp, i guess i am just going to jump into this feet first and see what happens, Wish me luck

Snow Bunny
This is the Pits BBQ
Custom Trailer Smoker by Gatorpit
22 Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Spirit Gasser
22 Weber OTG
Mini WSM Chicken Cooker

Return to “Desserts”