Brownies with Bacon and Bourbon

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Brownies with Bacon and Bourbon

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm

This was in the Dallas Morning News this morning as one of the cookie contest winners. I thought that it might draw some interest here.....DUH heck with bacon and bourbon :laughing7:

BROWNIES WITH BACON, BOURBON, PECANS AND OPTIONAL HEAT

Third place, Decadent

1/2 cup pecan halves

8 ounces thinly sliced bacon

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

3 tablespoons bourbon

4 large eggs

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 cups flour

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate to drizzle on top (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper; leave a 2-inch overhang on 2 opposite sides (handles for removal); spray with vegetable spray.

Spread pecans in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until fragrant. After cooling, chop the pecans coarsely.

Cook the bacon in a skillet over moderate heat until crisp, turning once — about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and let cool. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Finely chop the bacon.

Combine both chocolates and butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted. Scrape into a large bowl.

Using a handheld mixer, beat both sugars with the reserved 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Beat in the bourbon. Add the eggs and salt and beat until smooth. Add to the melted chocolate in the large bowl. Sift the cocoa and flour into the bowl (and the cayenne if using), and then beat until blended.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the bacon and pecans on top. Bake for about 30 minutes, just until the brownies are set around the edges but slightly wobbly in the center. (A toothpick inserted in the center should have some batter clinging to it.) Place the pan on a cooling rack and let the brownies cool completely. Drizzle with optional melted chocolate.

Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into 24 squares and serve.

PER COOKIE: Calories 246 (53% fat), Fat 15 g (7 g sat), Cholesterol 53 mg, Sodium 164 mg, Fiber 1 g, Carbohydrates 25 g, Protein 5 g
tarde venientibus ossa....
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Brownies with Bacon and Bourbon

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 pm

I might not make it but would dang sure eat some. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Brownies with Bacon and Bourbon

Postby Boots » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Bacon, Bourbon, and Chocolate? Geez, if I'da had this recipe in college, I'd never have had any issues getting a date - the three ingredients are catnip for country girls, sorority girls, and rich girls respectively. I coulda trolled for all three at once!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Desserts”