Sopapilla Cheesecake

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Sopapilla Cheesecake

Postby Rambo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:03 pm

I'd like to take credit for this but it's from a friend in Austin. A great recipe.

==================================

Sopapilla Cheesecake

LHR’s Sopapilla Cheesecake

Here's the basic recipe. You can vary it some based on personal tastes. its a good basic recipe that allows for some experimentation.

Ingredients

2 rolls of Pillsbury Crescent dinner rolls (get the big and fluffy kind, not the standard, even though the standard will work)

2 pkgs of Philadelphia creme cheese

1.5 to 2 cups of sugar (vary depending on how sweet you want it--no biggie, good either way)

1 stick of butter, melted

1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

about a half cup of sugar/cinnamon mix

a jar of honey

How to make it:

1. butter or spray with butter flavored Pam a 13 x 9 Pyrex baking dish

2. unroll one of the packages of crescent dinner rolls on the bottom of the dish. it will fit almost perfectly, and then mold to fit as best you can.

3. drizzle some of the butter over the pastry and then sprinkle liberally with the sugar/cinnamon mixture. also drizzle some of the honey over this layer.

4. in a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, the two pkgs of creme cheese and the vanilla extract. use a mixer to do this or your arm will fall off by the time you are finished mixing it. also, licking the mixing tools is the cooks prerogative. (i mix a lot when making this recipe.)

note: here is where you can vary the overall taste of the cheesecake by adding the orange or whatever as noted in the last post. i mixed in the orange zest and other extra ingredients. i like adding the eggs because it makes it even richer and helps bind it up when it bakes. be creative with the flavors.

5. pour the creme cheese and sugar mixture onto the bottom layer of dough and spread evenly. it should be about a half inch worth of stuff.

6. sprinkle some more sugar and cinnamon on this layer.

7. unroll another layer of the crescent dinner rolls and spread on top.

8. drizzle with the remaining butter, some more honey (as much or as little as you want), then sprinkle the remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture over the top. be liberal with this. Here is where you can sprinkle on some nuts of some type (pecans, almonds, whatever).

9. bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and fairly firm to the touch. you will have to keep an eye on it and adjust the time, more or less until it just seems right.

10. Let cool and serve with creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream, and then watch your guests' eyes roll back in their heads and tears come to their eyes.

Notes: One of the neat things about the recipe is that it can be varied by adding different flavoring combinations.

The last time I made it, i mixed in the zest of a large orange and added some cointreau and a couple of tablespoons of orange extract. to compensate for the added liquid, i added a couple of eggs to help bind it.

the result was outstanding, and i could see doing different flavor combinations to vary it (almond/amaretto, banana/banana liquor/banana flavored rum, coconut/coconut rum/macademia nuts, .......pineapple, lemon, whatever).

you can also sprinkle pecans on top with the sugar and cinnamon. when you make it, top it with some sweet whipped cream, or creme fraiche.

Bon Appetit!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Sopapilla Cheesecake

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Got me to licking my lips, sounds mighty good. Will try it. Thanks CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:17 pm

wife makes it all the time. Its GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Been around for a long time
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:12 pm

I hate being the new guy who resurrects zombie threads and then steps on the original recipe too but just couldn't help myself this time because I like this stuff so much. Sorry OP :oops:

I found my version of this recipe (on the Smoke Ring I think) where it was called Mexican Cheesecake.

The recipe I found called for two 8oz packs of cream cheese and I've bumped it to 12oz packs with the other ingredients adjusted accordingly.
Mine doesn't call for any honey but that sure sounds good. Likewise mine only calls for white sugar but I've used some brown sugar and it's very good that way.

2 12oz cream cheese
1-1/2 stick butter
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 tubes crescent rolls

Place one of the crescent roll packs in the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking pan/dish.
Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla and spread on top of the crescent roll.
Top with the other crescent roll and sprinkle more sugar and plenty of cinnamon on top. This usually where I use brown sugar.

I discovered crescent roll dough without the perforations and like to use it for a 9 x 13 version.

If you want you can half everything and fit it in a 9 x 9 pan when you don't need as much.
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:54 am

As the Late Author of this recipe states in the original post, this is his basic recipe and he encourages creativity.

If you read his recipe closely, he offers suggestions and thorough cooking instructions.

With the Holidays coming up, I highly recommend this to everyone; it's easy and delicious. I had actually forgotten about this thread so thanks for bring it to life again.
gocruise
Pilgrim

Postby gocruise » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:22 am

Never tried this cheesecake before. Hope my wife makes this for me.
denrob19
Pilgrim

Postby denrob19 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 am

I'm not a professional baker but I might give this a try.
In need of tonneau cover to secure my mobile pit. Any suggestions?

Return to “Desserts”