Re: Wiffy's Nanner Pudd'n

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:28 am

Don't get ur war department riled up buddy lol
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:32 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Talk about "Above and Beyond" - - I just woke her up to ask how much and after I told her it was a member of the Tex BBQ Forum she cooled down and told me it was 1and1/2 teaspoon sprinkled in as you whoop the egg whites - - - - she also said she's been cooking that since she was 11 years old - - - back when Moby Dick was just a minnow :whiteflag: :laughing7: :D :lol:

Good Luck and Hope you like it as well as our Family and Friends do :tup:

Oh many, MANY thanks!I understand the approach on this must have been like diving in front of a pistol prepped for Russian Roulette; not knowing if you're getting a bullet or click. Sounds like you were safe! (Don't let her see your last remark though!) :laughing7:
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Lol, happy wife, happy life!!!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Wiffy's Nanner Pudd'n

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Russ wrote:Lol, happy wife, happy life!!!

Russ

Ain't it funny how that saying is known ALL over the world, lol !!
You nailed it Russ, so true :) :)
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Wiffy's Nanner Pudd'n

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Txdragon wrote:[quote="OldUsedParts"]Talk about "Above and Beyond" - - I just woke her up to ask how much and after I told her it was a member of the Tex BBQ Forum she cooled down and told me it was 1and1/2 teaspoon sprinkled in as you whoop the egg whites - - - - she also said she's been cooking that since she was 11 years old - - - back when Moby Dick was just a minnow :whiteflag: :laughing7: :D :lol:

Good Luck and Hope you like it as well as our Family and Friends do :tup:

Oh many, MANY thanks!I understand the approach on this must have been like diving in front of a pistol prepped for Russian Roulette; not knowing if you're getting a bullet or click. Sounds like you were safe! (Don't let her see your last remark though!) :laughing7:[/quote]
Lol, you better have a password that CAN'T be cracked buddy :oops: :oops: :oops:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:48 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:SHERRY'S BANANA PUDDING RECIPE :cheers:
(an old family recipe)
Ingredients:
6 cups milk
can Pet milk
3 cups sugar
1 cup flour
6 to 8 egg yolks - - save whites in separate bowl to make meringue topping
2 tsp vanilla extract
8 to 10 large bananas -peeled and cut crosswise in 1/4" thick rounds
two boxes vanilla wafers
10X15 square glass baking dish

Directions:
lay the vanilla wafers side by side and along the sides of the baking dish until covered
lay the sliced bananas on top of the vanilla wafers
scald 6 cups milk (on low heat)
mix 3 cups sugar with 6 egg yolks...
CREAM TOGETHER WELL.
add 1 cup flour to dry mix
2 teaspoons vanilla to dry mix
pour dry mixture into hot milk, small amount at a time,
cook over low heat, stirring continuously until thickens.
add 1 can Pet Milk
pour hot mix over first layer of vanilla wafers and bananas
then put a second layer of vanilla wafers and sliced bananas on top of that
Beat egg whites until stiff.

Made this for the first time yesterday and WOW!! I certainly thank you for sharing this. I have to work with it a tad to cut it down to a regular portion vs a Texas portion. Lol. 5 of us ate a good helping after dinner last night and there's still enough left for a week of dessert.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:56 pm

I can relate, TD, I have tried to get The War Dept to down size but, as you see, the recipe has NOT changed. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:28 pm

It's DEFINITELY good stuff right there !!!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:37 pm

The pudding was absolutely wonderful when I made it. Had some on day 2 and I thought my tongue was going to jump out of my head and rob me for the pan of this beautiful dessert. It had time to mellow in the fridge and it was just.. I seriously can not come up with the words to describe it. To say it was excellent would be a major understatement.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Told the Wiffy and she is smilin big time - - - - thanks, TD :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm gunna try it as well, I also down size it. My kids and partners birthdays they have choose dinner here, got bread n butter pudding this Sunday. Nanner pudding on my birthday list. I'll have to google some of your ingredients though.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Russ wrote:I'm gunna try it as well, I also down size it. My kids and partners birthdays they have choose dinner here, got bread n butter pudding this Sunday. Nanner pudding on my birthday list. I'll have to google some of your ingredients though.

Russ

I would suggest to half it right down the middle to start if you're not following it exact. I also found that 3 egg white meringue was a perfect application here. I severely goofed the 6 egg whites left over for this part so I started from scratch with 3 egg whites, 1/4c sugar, 1/4tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extr. I added the cream of tartar then started beating whites while adding 1 tbsp sugar at a time until I got my peaks. I ended up using all of the 1/4c. I had enough meringue to sufficiently cover both pans of banana pudding. lol
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:30 pm

Russ wrote: I'll have to google some of your ingredients though.

Russ

"Pet milk" is more commonly known as evaporated or condensed milk. "Pet" milk is like a brand name. You can usually find a can of evaporated or condensed milk hiding in the section of your grocery store where they keep all the baking stuff. Cream of tartar is usually found with the rest of the spices OR in a baking section as well, I have seen it in both places. Most times it is nestled in a section right next to alum.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Russ wrote:I'm gunna try it as well, I also down size it. My kids and partners birthdays they have choose dinner here, got bread n butter pudding this Sunday. Nanner pudding on my birthday list. I'll have to google some of your ingredients though.

Russ

I would suggest to half it right down the middle to start if you're not following it exact. I also found that 3 egg white meringue was a perfect application here. I severely goofed the 6 egg whites left over for this part so I started from scratch with 3 egg whites, 1/4c sugar, 1/4tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extr. I added the cream of tartar then started beating whites while adding 1 tbsp sugar at a time until I got my peaks. I ended up using all of the 1/4c. I had enough meringue to sufficiently cover both pans of banana pudding. lol

Cheers buddy, you just made it easier. I don't need much advice on meringue, remember, the PAVOLOVA was invented in nz.!! Lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Russ wrote: I'll have to google some of your ingredients though.

Russ

"Pet milk" is more commonly known as evaporated or condensed milk. "Pet" milk is like a brand name. You can usually find a can of evaporated or condensed milk hiding in the section of your grocery store where they keep all the baking stuff. Cream of tartar is usually found with the rest of the spices OR in a baking section as well, I have seen it in both places. Most times it is nestled in a section right next to alum.

Evaporated is easy to find here, I think I've got a tin in the cupboard actually. Cream of tartar also in my pantry.
Again thanks

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Desserts”