The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

"Holiday" Pumpkin Crunch Cake

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:26 am

PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE
(Note: 1. Yes, you bake it with the wax paper in the baking dish. 2. Yes, you DO put pumpkin mix, cake mix, pecans and melted oleo in 4 individual layers. :dont: Yes, it has lots of the "C" word.)

1 large can pumpkin
1 lg.can evaporated milk
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 box white or yellow cake mix (I prefer yellow)

1 cup of chopped pecans

1 cup of melted Oleo

First Layer: Mix pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs and cinnamin together and put in a 9X13 pan lined with WAX paper.

Second Layer: Sprinkle one white or yellow cake mix (dry) over the
pumpkin mixture.

Third Layer: Gently pat in 1 cup of chopped pecans and then

Fourth Layer: pour 1 cup of melted oleo on top of the nuts.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 min.
Stick a table knife into the middle
of the cake and if it comes out clean it is done. Like you
check a pumpkin pie. Take out of oven and let sit in pan
for 15 mins. to cool. Then turn pan upside down on a
cookie sheet and let cool again.You will peel off the
wax paper. It is delicious without anything on it
but if you want you can use below. It is very rich so
just serve small servings.

When cool you can serve it with cool whip or frost it with the following.

Mix 1 pkg. cream cheese, 8 oz. cool whip and 1/2 cup confectioner sugar and spread on top.
(I prefer doing this because it adds Calories and Friends)

This recipe was given to me by an old Yankee GF - - about the only good memory of her that I have :laughing7: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: "Holiday" Pumpkin Crunch Cake

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:32 am

That looks really good. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:00 am

yes sir, it's purdy tasty, even tho I'm not much on Punkin "mush" - - - I thought I'd improve it once and used sweet taters - - - - Bombed Out Big Time - - - - from now on I stick with Cookie's recipe and use canned Punkin mush :tup: Hadn't done this in a while but I'm sure gonna fix one for Turkey Day this Year.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:10 pm

I've made one similar with the pumpkin, cake mix and a couple eggs. It comes out super moist and good with my morning coffee.
I do like your recipe and I will definitely give it a try for sure.

Thanks for the sharing the recipe.

Ric G.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:04 am

I thought that, since I hadn't done one of these in a while, I'd better do a test run before Thanksgiving deadline. So I threw one together, gave it some oven time and just pulled it. I'll let it cool for 30 minutes before turning it over onto a cookie sheet. I'll also be trimming of that wax paper before flipping so it doesn't end up under the cake when I do.

IMG_0006.JPG

I'll post up another pic after it cools and I cut it - - - don't know if I'll put icing on this one or not - - - that kinda depends on what it tastes, looks and feels like after cooling.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:51 am

STOP THE PRESSES :dont: :scratch: :banghead: :angryfire:

OK, I've cooled down now and also done some googling on this old GF's Recipe.
After flipping the can over onto a cookie sheet, I realized a few MAJOR things. SEE PICS

FIRST TWEEK TO RECIPE - - - when she said LARGE she meant 15oz NOT 29oz (which I used :banghead:)

SECOND TWEEK TO RECIPE - - - for the Thanksgiving cake I will use 4 eggs and 1 AND 1/2 cups of sugar - - - also ?IF? I can find low sodium canned punkin I'll use that also. There was a pretty dominate salty taste to it and for me to say it's salty IT'S SALTY.

FINALLY: while I was baking this and checking it with a butter knife, I noticed that the punkin mix was taking a very long time to dry and firm up - - HENCE the wrong size can "DUH" :banghead:

As you can see from the following pics - - - it was very very fragile because it was wet and there's no way that I could even ?think? about spreading an icing or topping on it.

Therefore, I hope to fix that with my tweeking come Thanksgiving. Fangers Crossed :roll:
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Return to “Desserts”