Cream Cheese Pound Cake

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Postby Allie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:14 pm

My dad share this recipe with me. I wish I had a picture of his because mine didn't turn out so well. It was more crumbly, maybe because it's so dry here now and it was humid in GA when we were there? Or because I used butter instead of margarine?

Ingredients
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
3 sticks margarine
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
3 cups cake flour (Swan's Down is what he recommended and what I used.)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Cream butter and cream cheese; add sugar and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add flour; beat until fluffy, then add vanilla and mix well.
3. Pour into bundt pan and bake for 2 hours or until done. (I used wooden skewer to test and mine was done at exactly 2 hours.)
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Postby copkid » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Allie wrote:My dad share this recipe with me. I wish I had a picture of his because mine didn't turn out so well. It was more crumbly, maybe because it's so dry here now and it was humid in GA when we were there? Or because I used butter instead of margarine?

Ingredients
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
3 sticks margarine
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
3 cups cake flour (Swan's Down is what he recommended and what I used.)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Cream butter and cream cheese; add sugar and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add flour; beat until fluffy, then add vanilla and mix well.
3. Pour into bundt pan and bake for 2 hours or until done. (I used wooden skewer to test and mine was done at exactly 2 hours.)

hmmmmm, sounds really yummy! I wonder if it would have done better bake in a bit of a water bath? just put the bundt pan in a bigger pan with a bit of hot water around it? Just to help bake more evenly and slowy? Just a thought. I've never made many cheesecake type things, unless it says 'Sara Lee' on the box! :oops:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:23 pm

Thanks Allie it sounds too good and great for a diet food! :?
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Thanks for posting, Allie! This looks like a great recipe to try.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:02 pm

It sounds good. :D :D I think you are right it was most likely using butter in stead of margarine. :D
Jim
Allie

Postby Allie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:36 pm

copkid wrote:

hmmmmm, sounds really yummy! I wonder if it would have done better bake in a bit of a water bath? just put the bundt pan in a bigger pan with a bit of hot water around it? Just to help bake more evenly and slowy? Just a thought. I've never made many cheesecake type things, unless it says 'Sara Lee' on the box! :oops:

It isn't a cheesecake. It's a cream cheese pound cake.......a very dense cake. A water bath wouldn't work with my bundt pan because it has the removable bottom. I think the water would end up seeping into the cake. lol Not good!

I really think I should have used margarine. I wasn't intending to make the cake so didn't buy any and I only keep salted and unsalted butter in the house now. lol It still tastes good and is moist inside but the top crust came off and it's hard to cut it without it crumbling all over.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Allie wrote:
copkid wrote:

It isn't a cheesecake. It's a cream cheese pound cake.......a very dense cake. A water bath wouldn't work with my bundt pan because it has the removable bottom. I think the water would end up seeping into the cake. lol Not good!

I really think I should have used margarine. I wasn't intending to make the cake so didn't buy any and I only keep salted and unsalted butter in the house now. lol It still tastes good and is moist inside but the top crust came off and it's hard to cut it without it crumbling all over.

Ahh, I see! I don't have a bundt pan, so I forgot about the removeable bottom. I too, just keep butter in the house anymore. I try to keep margarine too, but usually, I keep that disgusting fake Country Crock spread around for Eric, who tries to watch his cholesterol. You can't cook with that crap!
Your cake still sounds good, regardless of the crumblies!!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:08 pm

I' confused! A bundt pan? Isn't it that round pan with a hole in the center to make a round cake, kinda like a wreath only deeper?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21cVjCDUeZL.jpg

Doesn't a tart pan have a removable bottom?

Even with a removable bottom just put the cake pan in the center of some foil and bring it up the sides. Tear the excess off at the pan top.

What size eggs did you use? Maybe you need extra large?
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
Allie

Postby Allie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:59 pm

This is a bundt pan with the hole in the middle but the bottom comes out. If you look at the picture on my Hawaiian Chicken wings thread (Poultry Recipes), you'll see the cake in the very back, behind the wok. I do have a bundt pan like the one in your picture as well but the one I use for pound cake has smooth sides. I've never seen a pound cake baked in one of the more decorative ones but it might work.

I used large eggs which is the same size my dad uses. The only difference in what I did and what my dad did was either the humidity or the butter instead of margarine. I know he told me something about the margarine part and it may have been that he tried the butter instead. Something he'd tried didn't work as well. I should have asked!!

Return to “Desserts”