Funnel Cakes

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Funnel Cakes

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:21 pm

Broke in my turkey fryer over the weekend. Since it was a weekend, I decided to try something fun. After checking out the pantry (not much) and my cookbooks, I found a recipe that would be perfect: funnel cakes.

First, a shot of my set-up. I purchased the smaller pot because I didn’t want to be limited to a huge turkey pot for frying.
Image Image

After making my batter and warming up the oil, I start the cooking. Hmmm, doesn’t quite look like the ones from the state fair.

Dusted with powdered sugar.
Image Image

The waiting crowd.
Image Image

The family liked these a lot! The cakes tasted just like the ones from the fair, and were especially good being warm from the cooker. They didn’t quite look right, but I was getting better as I went along. Before the next cook, I’m going to get several sauce bottles from the restaurant supply store to experiment with. There’s some way with the flow of the batter, the heat from the oil, and the hand motion that all work to get that funnel cake shape. Well, practice makes perfect.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:29 am

Those look fantastic and what a great way to get the kids involved! I don't have a big fryer like that, but I may try it in my electric skillet. Got a recipe for the batter?
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48 am

The batter is from _The Ultimate Turkey Fryer Cookbook_, pg 164. Warning: the book says it serves 20. While I doubt that, it made more than my family could eat.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (I used a little less)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl, stir together very well.
2. Combine eggs, yolk, milk, and vanilla in another bowl. Beat well with a whisk.
3. Combine dry and wet ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour resulting batter into a large oitcher, pastry bag, squeeze bottle, or other container that pours easily.
4. Heat oil to 350*. (This can take a while. Also, I may try 375* next time, just to see if I can get a better, less blobby shape for the cakes.)
5. Pour batter in a slow, steady stream into the oil in a slow circular motion to make a cake. Fry cake for 45 seconds to 1 minute, turning once. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Dust with Cinnamon-Sugar Dust. (I just used powdered sugar myself.)

Cinnamon-Sugar Dust
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
Whisk cinnamon and sugar together to combine.

Edit: I did these agin, but this time I had a ring, used about 1/4 cup batter per cake (and could have used less), and cooked 'em at 375*. Worked a lot better this time. They actually looked like the ones from the fair.

Image Image
Last edited by TX Sandman on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 am

Those sound good and look like a good time was had doing them. :D :D I see the main critics approved and that's what counts. :D 8)
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 am

Stop it! :shock:

You are making me hungry... :wink: 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:27 am

I have never had a funnel cake. I guess that I am gonna have to try this sometime.... :goof:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 am

Those look good. Like Chuck, I've never had a funnel cake. I guess up here they're common fair food but I've never been to one of the fairs. Down in Georgia, I don't recall ever seeing them at a fair but we didn't have anything comparable to county fairs here.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:15 am

They are similar to elephant ears, but a bit more dense and cake like.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:17 am

Rob, looks good to me. I would not have any trouble eating those.
And the grew enjoyed them also. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:54 am

wow a definate try Sandman, those looked great. Good idea about the smaller pot as well 8)
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:43 pm

nascarchuck wrote:I have never had a funnel cake. I guess that I am gonna have to try this sometime....

Allie wrote:Those look good. Like Chuck, I've never had a funnel cake. I guess up here they're common fair food but I've never been to one of the fairs. Down in Georgia, I don't recall ever seeing them at a fair but we didn't have anything comparable to county fairs here.

:dshock: :shock: :dshock: :shock: :dshock:
tarde venientibus ossa....
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Tue May 13, 2008 9:37 am

Papa Tom wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:I have never had a funnel cake. I guess that I am gonna have to try this sometime....

Allie wrote:Those look good. Like Chuck, I've never had a funnel cake. I guess up here they're common fair food but I've never been to one of the fairs. Down in Georgia, I don't recall ever seeing them at a fair but we didn't have anything comparable to county fairs here.

:dshock: :shock: :dshock: :shock: :dshock:

My thoughts exactly!

Looks like we need to rent out a booth at the next Georgia/Indiana fair and make a couple of bucks!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Tue May 13, 2008 9:43 am

nascarchuck wrote:I have never had a funnel cake. I guess that I am gonna have to try this sometime.... :goof:

Chuck, please turn in your Texan badge... :roll:

You may re-apply after the state fair. Please make sure that you have adequate amounts of funnel cake grease in your system for the blood test. :wink:

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*

Return to “Desserts”