Looking for a corn bread recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Looking for a corn bread recipe

Postby 2PUPs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I was wonderin if anyone has a good recipe for a corn bread w/cinnamon .
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Looking for a corn bread recipe

Postby Gator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Keri C's Corn Bread is the best recipe I have found (Cinnamon? I suppose you could add cinnamon...)

1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal (not cornmeal mix or self-rising)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbs baking powder, preferably Rumford
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar (to 1/2 cup)
1 1/4 cup milk (fat-free works fine)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (can cut to 1/4 cup if desired)
2 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 400, placing pans in oven while it heats. I use 2 cast iron stick pans, 1 cast aluminum stick pan, and 1 non-stick scone pan or a 9-inch cast iron skillet or a 13x9 pan

2. Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs, and add to dry ingredients. Blend till all is combined.

3. Remove hot pans from the oven one at a time, and slip a small amount of Crisco or bacon grease (say about 1/4 tsp or so) into each stick form, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place back in oven for a few minutes - you want these puppies HOT. Remove pan from oven, set on heat-proof surface, and, using a tablespoon from your silverware drawer, put a generous spoonful of batter into each form. You should have enough batter for 24 cornsticks and 8 thin crusty wedges.

4. Bake at 400 until golden brown on the tops, about 15 minutes for the sticks and about 20 minutes for the wedges. (If you prefer, bake the whole recipe in a 9-inch cast iron skillet for about 30 minutes and just cut into wedges to serve, or just use a 13x9 pan and cut into squares.) To remove from pans, gently ease the tines of a fork under the edges of the cornstick and carefully pry up. If you preheated your pan well and greased it right, it should pop right out.

Tips

To remove from pans, gently ease the tines of a fork under the edges of the cornstick and carefully pry up. If you preheated your pan well and greased it right, it should pop right out.

To convert this to buttermilk cornbread, what I've usually done is to drop the oil to a little under 1/4 cup - maybe 3 Tbs. Change the milk to 2 cups of buttermilk, and add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda stirring into the buttermilk before blending it in. Everything else I leave the same. The buttermilk version rises a bit more than the milk version.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Thx Gator :

I like plain corn bread but the wife loves cinnamon in hers . I`ll do one of each .

Jeff
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:55 pm

:ddumb: I just use the stuff in the little blue and white box and add what ever.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm

BlueDawg - I used Jiffy for years, good stuff...but then one day, tried Keri C's recipe. I never switched back. Nothing wrong with either one of those.

;)
Gator

2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:19 am

Hey Gator , I just diid that c bread recipe of Keri Cs , oh my , alls I can say is Mmm , hide the pan or I`ll eat the whole thing . Thanks Gator and a hats off to Keri c for the recipe .

Jeff
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 am

Good deal Jeff - I think she won the Oklahoma Sate Fair with that one -> Its a gud 'un.
Gator

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:18 pm

This one is almost identical to Keri Cs

The only difference is instead of sugar it uses spenda and instead of 1-1/2 cups milk it uses 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup buttermilk -bet it would be difficult to tell the difference between them. Comes out real good on the egg.

Celtic Wolf’s Cornbread

Growing up I always remembered my mother using buttermilk in her cornbread. Being a diabetic I had to make this bread a little more friendly to my diet.
Cornbread
1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Splenda. Use less if you want it less sweet. (Use Sugar if you must)
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup Sweet Buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
Preheat Egg for indirect at 400 degrees.
Once Egg is stable preheat 5qt. Dutch Oven or 8 inch skillet
Blend dry ingredients in large bowl.
Blend milk, oil, and eggs, and add to dry ingredients. Blend till all is combined.
Use a small amount of Crisco or bacon grease (say about 1/4 tsp or so) to coat the inside of dutch oven or skillet. Place back in Egg for a few minutes - you want the cast iron hot.
Pour mixture into the hot dutch oven or skillet.
Bake covered at 400 until golden brown on the top, about 20-30 minutes.
Fork should go in and out clean. Leave cover off the last 5 minutes if you want a top to be a lttle more brown.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Request a Recipe”