Grilled Corn on the Cob

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Postby nascarchuck » Tue May 04, 2010 2:30 pm

I saw a video a couple of weeks ago on how to grill corn on the cob. I think it was on TV but cant remember what show it was.

Anyway they brined the corn for several hours before cooking it.

Anyone heard of this? What is the technique?
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Grilled Corn on the Cob

Postby Gator » Tue May 04, 2010 3:03 pm

We submerge corn in water (remove silk - leave on husks) for about an hour and pop it on the grill/smoker - cook until the outside husks turn black over a medium heat. All that moisture in there helps steam the corn + smoke gives it a good flavor.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks Dan.

I found the recipe on the internet. It was on Americas test kitchen.

I have always grilled the corn like you except I dont soak in water. Anyway, I may try 2 in water and 2 like the tv show says and see what happens.

If your corn isn't as sweet as you'd like, stir 1/2 cup of sugar into the water along with the salt. Avoid soaking the corn for more than 8 hours, or it will become overly salty.

Serves 4 to 6.
Ingredients
Salt and pepper
8 ears corn , husks and silks removed
8 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened, or 1 recipe flavored butter (see related recipes)
Instructions

1. In large pot, stir 1/2 cup salt into 4 quarts cold water until dissolved. Add corn and let soak for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.

2. Grill corn over hot fire, turning every 2 to 3 minutes, until kernels are lightly charred all over, 10 to 14 minutes. Remove corn from grill, brush with softened butter, and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Chuck

kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:20 pm

I always peel back the husks but don't remove, but I do remove the silk. I tie some butcher's string around the peeled back husks to use them as handles. Brush some compound butter on the corn and grill direct while basting with that same butter. Cook until it's turning a nice golden-brown. Sprinkle on a little coarse salt & fresh ground pepper when done.

The compound butter I use most frequently is just made up of butter, minced garlic, & finely chopped flat-leaf parsley.

Also, if there is a large enough piece of stem left on the ears of corn, I'll completely remove the husk so I don't need to worry about tying them. They are prone to burning. Here's some I did awhile back with the husks completely removed:

Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 04, 2010 6:26 pm

I pull back the husks, remove the silk, liberally apply butter, pull husks back up, wrap in foil, toss on the grill or smoker. Very hard to overcook 'em this way.

Never tried the brine thing, but I can see how it could turn out a great product.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue May 04, 2010 7:30 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I pull back the husks, remove the silk, liberally apply butter, pull husks back up, wrap in foil, toss on the grill or smoker. Very hard to overcook 'em this way.

Never tried the brine thing, but I can see how it could turn out a great product.

I'll let ya know how it turns out. Never though of doing it.
Chuck

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Tue May 04, 2010 9:00 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I pull back the husks, remove the silk, liberally apply butter, pull husks back up, wrap in foil, toss on the grill or smoker. Very hard to overcook 'em this way.

Or you could try the South Texas Latin version - do it like DAT says, but use a thin slather of may instead of butter and sprinkle with chili powder before re-husking.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm

mgwerks wrote:

Or you could try the South Texas Latin version - do it like DAT says, but use a thin slather of may instead of butter and sprinkle with chili powder before re-husking.

I keep hearing about that but I just dont know about mayo on grilled corn! Just sounds nasty!
Chuck

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Tue May 04, 2010 9:47 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
mgwerks wrote:

I keep hearing about that but I just dont know about mayo on grilled corn! Just sounds nasty!

You do realize that mayo is basically oil with a little egg and seasoning... it's just a binder that contributes no flavor.
Now, nasty is mustard on ribs!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 am

DatsBBQ wrote:
I pull back the husks, remove the silk, liberally apply butter, pull husks back up, wrap in foil, toss on the grill or smoker. Very hard to overcook 'em this way.

I do it the same way but I add a couple spices and red pepper to the butter!
2rowdy USER_AVATAR
2rowdy
Rustler

Postby 2rowdy » Wed May 05, 2010 9:01 am

Gator wrote:We submerge corn in water (remove silk - leave on husks) for about an hour and pop it on the grill/smoker - cook until the outside husks turn black over a medium heat. All that moisture in there helps steam the corn + smoke gives it a good flavor.

This is the way I also do it. I like to chop up alittle green onion in each ear before it goes on the grill.
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Wed May 05, 2010 1:11 pm

pull back the husks, remove the silk, liberally apply butter, pull husks back up, wrap in foil, toss on the grill or smoker. Very hard to overcook 'em this way.

Do mine this way also but before they go on the grill I put my seasons on corn and I do wrap in tin foil.
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Corn on Cob Boiled or Grilled Mexican

4 ears corn
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan (can substitute cotija
Red chili powder or cayenne pepper, to taste
2 limes cut into wedges

Remove husks off corn. To boil- fill a stockpot halfway with water - bring to a boil. Gently drop corn into boiling water. Bring back to boil - cook corn 2 to 3 minutes.

To grill~ instead of boiling- preheat outdoor grill or indoor cast-iron griddle on medium high heat. When hot- lightly oil grates - place corn on grill. Grill about 5 minutes or until kernels begin to blacken turning frequently.

Baste hot corn with mayonnaise- season with Parmesan ñ chili powder. Serve with lime wedges. 4 servings.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Kenny 13 wrote:I always peel back the husks but don't remove, but I do remove the silk. I tie some butcher's string around the peeled back husks to use them as handles. Brush some compound butter on the corn and grill direct while basting with that same butter. Cook until it's turning a nice golden-brown. Sprinkle on a little coarse salt & fresh ground pepper when done.

The compound butter I use most frequently is just made up of butter, minced garlic, & finely chopped flat-leaf parsley.

Also, if there is a large enough piece of stem left on the ears of corn, I'll completely remove the husk so I don't need to worry about tying them. They are prone to burning. Here's some I did awhile back with the husks completely removed:

we do this,,, but I use EVOO, and lemon pepper.... and I tie the husk back with a small piece of husk,,, had it the other ways, and the black from the open husks is how i prefer it.

i'll try Mayo, buddy put's it on steaks, and it's surprisingly good, but not good enough to be my go to method.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com

Return to “Request a Recipe”